Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new horse; what would you suggest.

Re: Time for a new horse; what would you suggest.

2017 Chevy Colorado, with a duramax diesel and some Duratrac tires is exactly what you want.. pretty sure it beats the Tacoma in every aspect that you were concerned with

The only real toss up is re sale value but if these diesels continue to function as well as they are I'd be shocked if they didn't hold value better than a gas Tacoma

Skip the Tacoma
    go back to a Toyota pickup with a 22re
    decent mileage and goes anywhere.

Hunting partner pulled up here yesterday with 2017 Toyota pickup..weighs the same as our Ford Edge car..pretty much same engine size.
    Srupp

My brother just bought a 2017 Tacoma. Nice truck but it is gutless. other problem is you have to pay arm and a leg for any nice upgrades. you don't even get leather (which stays cleaner) unless you get top model .

Off road it is small and maneuverable but does not compare to my rubicon.

IMO Toyota is WAY overpriced .

but if you are going to buy one definitely might as well buy new!

Tacomas have a following because old tacomas withe the 22r or re whatever it was was legendary, the trucks were smaller and they are still around. Buddy has a new taco but is too dumb to put decent tires on it. It is gutless and tiny inside, my 4 door tracker has more space in the back seat. The colorado Ive heard good things about but I do not have experience in midsize trucks, full size and pint size for me.

What kind of milage are you guys getting on midsize trucks if you dont mind me asking, kind of helping the theme of the thread? My Ram crew cab gets 10.5l/100km on the highway 12 in the city.

The pre Tacoma Toyota truck model was the....truck.
    I don't know what kinda glue you need to eat to find a Tacoma gutless, the 4.0 in my wife's 2008 has a ton of jam.
    Jeeps...well, if you want to be a jeeple, that's your problem, but I promise you, from experience, that if you push a stock jeep, and a stock Toyota just as hard as the other, you're gonna need to buy jeep parts. And that's including a Rubicon. That said, if I had to jeep, I would buy an LJ, which is a stretched TJ.
    Chevys have an enormous belly in the frame that gets hung up constantly. Add car sized steering linkage and that's a walk away for this guy. They ride nice though.
    Fiats...well...the tiny diesel in the half tons looks interesting.
    Ford sadly doesn't make the ranger for us anymore.
    Ridgelines are cars.

Forgot Nissan.
    Here's an exercise to determine Nissans offroad abilities; crawl under a pathfinder. Now roll over. Oops, you can't.
    Perform the same with an xterra. Oops, you can't.
    Find a 4wd Toyota of the same vintage. Doable.
    Now look at the rear spring hangers on that xterra. Holy shit those are some low hanging anchors eh?
    Now just wait until the Nissan electrical gremlins show up...
    Last edited by Squamch; 08-14-2017 at 06:43 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I have a 2007 Tacoma that I bought out of the States that had 1400 miles on it,,,,double cab, short box, auto (not available in Canada). Can turn it around on the skinniest of goat trails. Saved 12 grand buying down there back then. Haven't found a hill in the province that you couldn't go up it 80-90 mph if you wanted to so plenty of jam. Mine is raised because I have heavier leaf springs on it adjustable shocks top front. Running Duratracs on it and will be switching them out with another set that I just picked up that has about 7000 k on them. Tacomas are easy on tires because this set I'm running now has 85 000 miles on them. Ya you read right,,,,,that's 85 000 miles, not kms.

I'm holding onto the truck for another 5 years and will get another. Hopefully Tacoma hasn't done a whole lot to them that would make them inferior to what the one I have now is,,,,,unless they want to improve the gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Tacomas have a following because old tacomas withe the 22r or re whatever it was was legendary, the trucks were smaller and they are still around. Buddy has a new taco but is too dumb to put decent tires on it. It is gutless and tiny inside, my 4 door tracker has more space in the back seat. The colorado Ive heard good things about but I do not have experience in midsize trucks, full size and pint size for me.

What kind of milage are you guys getting on midsize trucks if you dont mind me asking, kind of helping the theme of the thread? My Ram crew cab gets 10.5l/100km on the highway 12 in the city.
    7.9-8.5L/100km on highway and averaging 10.5L for city right now in my diesel Colorado from 2017.. it blows away the NEW Tacoma s in every regard.. forget that the new Tacoma is the most gutless truck ever made....

Edit * I'm still driving this truck like it'd my hem loaded grand Cherokee so I can improve fuel economy likely plus I added bigger beefier offroad tires and extra weight to the truck.
    Last edited by RyoTHC; 08-14-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    The pre Tacoma Toyota truck model was the....truck.
    I don't know what kinda glue you need to eat to find a Tacoma gutless, the 4.0 in my wife's 2008 has a ton of jam.
    Jeeps...well, if you want to be a jeeple, that's your problem, but I promise you, from experience, that if you push a stock jeep, and a stock Toyota just as hard as the other, you're gonna need to buy jeep parts. And that's including a Rubicon. That said, if I had to jeep, I would buy an LJ, which is a stretched TJ.
    Chevys have an enormous belly in the frame that gets hung up constantly. Add car sized steering linkage and that's a walk away for this guy. They ride nice though.
    Fiats...well...the tiny diesel in the half tons looks interesting.
    Ford sadly doesn't make the ranger for us anymore.
    Ridgelines are cars.

Forgot Nissan.
    Here's an exercise to determine Nissans offroad abilities; crawl under a pathfinder. Now roll over. Oops, you can't.
    Perform the same with an xterra. Oops, you can't.
    Find a 4wd Toyota of the same vintage. Doable.
    Now look at the rear spring hangers on that xterra. Holy shit those are some low hanging anchors eh?
    Now just wait until the Nissan electrical gremlins show up...
    This is bang on.....good summary. OP needs a Toyota. He is currently driving smart car and commuting to big smoke for work. Needs something smaller to be able to park in Vancouver and fit in parkades.Toyota will fill all needs nicely. Jeeps are fun and the ladies like them with top down but less reliable and much less versaltile. Have owned both. I drive full size b/c need the room, pack camper and tow stuff.