Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new horse; what would you suggest.

Time for a new horse; what would you suggest.

Hey Guys,

I thought I would write a post about buying a new vehicle and ask you about best choices for a hunter in these parts. I live in Squamish and work in the city; I'm leaning towards a Jeep or a Pickup, both look like they have their advantages. The Pickup would be great to work from and move gear and large items, however larger and more of a hassle to park and drive in the city. The Jeep looks like more fun and more of what I'm use to size wise. I've had trucks and hatchbacks in the past, these days I'm in a Smart Car; it holds a deer just fine in the back! It's just getting a little small for me and access is limited, especially when theirs 5"+ of snow on the FSRs.

Buyer Concerns:
    - New or Used
    - Reliability
    - Milage costs
    - Maintenance costs
    - Resale value
    - Maneuverability: Access and parking (I love the smart car for this - it'll be missed)
    - City & HWY driving
    - Cargo capacity/capability
    - Backcountry security

I guess the information I'd really like to know is what kind of mistakes or shortcomings you wish you could have avoided in you own vehicle history as it relates to accessing the backcountry and serving well in the frontcountry. I'd rather not repeat the same mistakes others wish they could have avoided or learn the hard way if I can avoid it. I'd also like to hear about any personal advantages you may like about your own rig.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Time for a new horse; what would you suggest.

Ive got a regular cab, short box ram that's fine for what I need, I live in town and can park it better than most people in small cars, before I had the ram I had a Nissan Xterra that was surprisingly good off-road with a decent set of tires on it.

Once you have decided on what you would like. Check with auto brokers. Auto girl is on the site.

toyota forerunner or tacoma would probably suit your needs

Any 1/2 tonne pickup now has some kind of cylinder cutout tech and good gas mileage. The 4 door versions have plenty of room up front and a box to throw your deer into. GMC Ram Ford Toyota it doesn't matter - all have good stories and horror stories. I have a GMC 2009 5.3 extended cab and have no problem parking or maneuvering. I am 6'1 215 lbs and find the smaller pickups a little cramped, especially all geared up ( snow pants, winter jacket ). The advantage of buying used with lower resale, is that someone else has already paid the depreciation. But higher resale value is usually there for a reason. Big decision. I hope your happy with whatever you pick.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

If maneuverability and off-road capabilities are important and payload and towing arn't then a Tacoma is hard to beat.

Their just too small if you use them as truck.

Love my Taco - 2016. After looking at used, it made no sense not to buy new. Resale on a 4 year old truck is just a couple grand off a brand new one.

If I wasn't hauling kids I'd get the extended cab long bed. With 2 kids and a dog I opted for the DCLB. Mileage kinda sucks but everything else is great.

Toyota tacoma is what you're looking for, also safer for wet weather highway driving than jeep and muck more reliable over the long run.

Buy a Tacoma, take good care of it and expect to get 15-20 years usage from it.

I just went through this same situation.. after test driving many trucks, I decided mid size offered everything I needed, and was cheaper than the bigger trucks so it was win win. .

That brought me to the canyon, Colorado, frontier, and Tacoma (the new Ridgeline is a joke..)

After test driving several configurations of each truck,I finally settled on the 2017 Colorado duramax diesel... living with mountains on all sides the exhaust break, downhill assist plus the torque is an amazing asset...

If you have any questions don't hesitate to pm!

I will end with saying I'm unsure why the Tacoma has so many fan boys.. I drove a v8 4 runner for years and loved it do I never questioned all the Tacoma s on the road.. but I have to ask.. why!? Sure they have alot of after market parts... but I have never driven such a gutless slow vehicle in my life prior and the interior is damn near enough to make you claustrophobic after driving the other mid size trucks...

I can't wait to hear the fan Boys come to the Tacoma defence