Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Heard a lot of rumours lately

Re: Heard a lot of rumours lately

Well is there any proof they are shutting down hunting due to the burn or is this solely based on lack of access? I have a cabin at Loon Lake and there are many rumours, be honest still haven't been able to go in there for a month and I wouldn't care if we skipped a season there but I don't know when we can actually go back, but rumour has it there's a lot more bear and cougar sightings around the cabins I've been told
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Honestly don't know.
    They have poster what, and why is posted in many places.
    Right now it encompasses most all of region 5.
    I would like to hear a biologists opinion. On what is best for wildlife..but until it opens up..no choice.
    It's rained off and on last nite, today it may not be enough but it's 8 degrees cooler..and with rains has to help? Even a little.
    On the other side winds...and lightening strikes.....? Bad combo.....
    I don't get to make decisions..nor am I any expert. .just been a tough damn 10 months on wildlife..the last 40 days the worst in 100 years..
    I have lived hunted here for 3 decades never seen anything close to it..in June..10th? Still enough snow to make Horsefly mtn unpassable. .7 days later powder. .bone dry..yesterday first rain?
    June 7th fires broke out..one has burned Ashcroft..Loon lake..now threatening Sheridan lake Highway 24..
    The other from Risk Creek..all the way to Precipice east over the Fraser river to Blue lake..that's meeting up? With airport fire North Wildwood...all d that meets up with Coyote creek..150 mile..Dugan lake..spoken lake..
    Besides 2 options..keep it closed..no hunting. Or let's go hunting...
    I'm unaware of any other option.
    One gentleman phoned wanting help with his first moose draw.congradulatons however it's still burning..and where it isn't it's still burning underground..ground is hot..there will be no moose in that situation. .location.
    I'm hearing of domestic cattle being shot due to burned hooves. .if true..if..what does that say to you.
    Personally if we can as Canada pay for 1,000 refugees per day for several days entering Quebec. .we have money to compensate ranchers and guides..
    IMO IF we don't know the impact on wildlife in Region 5..shut it down 100% until we do.
    Please everyone be safe, careful and courteous..you don't know what the individual your dealing with has experienced since July 7..
    Also..with dead wildlife, domestic wildlife dying in unforseen locations..if bears take over a carcass..they will defend it at your peril.
    Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 08-14-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Very well said Steven, I have been a hunter in BC for over 40 years, and I still consider it a privilege. My .02 cents is to shut it down for this year. If we truly are concerned about the survival of the game we hunt, one season of closure would help them greatly. Think of the game numbers next year if they have an entire year to adjust to their changed environment

Quote Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
    Very well said Steven, I have been a hunter in BC for over 40 years, and I still consider it a privilege. My .02 cents is to shut it down for this year. If we truly are concerned about the survival of the game we hunt, one season of closure would help them greatly. Think of the game numbers next year if they have an entire year to adjust to their changed environment
    If hunting affected game numbers, you may have something there.

Since it doesn't, it would be the wrong thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post

x2 what he said, no way in hell i am not hunting when our brothers would still be out there raping and pillaging the resource!!!!

The only thing shutting down hunting in the Cariboo or anywhere else would achieve is adding more financial hardship to the economy which is already suffering from the fires. Motels, gas stations, restaurants etc get a needed shot from hunting season. Its an emotional time and I tip my hat for the thoughts on not putting any extra hardship on the game but really, it is zilch in the big picture. There's a ton of new open country well away from roads that they can cover miles in a hurry they'll find feed and they'll be fine. ps I've got no dog in the race no plans to hunt there this year.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post

Do you know the mortality figures of wildlife from this fire?...
    Do you know what's left for canopy cover feed areas not burned ?
    Do you know how far the wildfires have push wildlife ?
    Do you know how this whole wildfire has affected wildlife?

Fact is GOS and LEH authorizations are based on wildlife counts, estimations. .and adjusted accordingly..
    So you feel it situation normal..hunt as if it was normal year.
    Surprise it's not a normal year.its 1/100 year event..so no consideration of the events in your evaluation of upcoming hunting season in 3.5 weeks ?
    "NORMALLY " hunting does affect wildlife numbers..if 3,500 moose are legal harvested, plus native unknown numbers..that's a group of animals not available for next year.
    Even years of low water, or warm water numbers for retention are adjusted downward to ensure escapement for species survival..GUARANTEE..
    I admire your opinion this historical fire will have no effect on numbers, nor behavior, nor location,..i don't know so I don't have your level of confidence .

No way in hell your not going hunting cuz..raping and pillaging by?other hunters? Where? Kootenay? Cariboo burned big time..
    This is not about motels, economics..it's a discussion about wildlife in Region 5 this fall...
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 08-14-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Busterbrown View Post
    Perhaps a season of hunting strictly for predators (wolf bear cougar)would be a nice addition to the break for ungulate populations. Imagine how much more wildlife there would be then.......

Just some numbers for people saying the fires wont have much affect on the wildlife population in the Cariboo Chilcotin.

Right now according to the BC wildfire website there has been 156 wild fires that have burned 517,769.33 hectares, that is 1,279,408 acres. a good majority of those hectares status is listed as out of control. that number is going to rise significantly without out a doubt.

I grew up on a ranch with 3000 acres, I thought that was huge. I cant imagine 1.2 million acres.

This will greatly affect the deer, moose, bear and grouse population. I would surmise that it already has killed many not to mention the loss of habitat that surely will kill a great deal more.

Unless biologists comes out and says the population of the species is fine (which I cant see happening) I will not be hunting any of them this season. Which would be the first time in 40 years.

Animals aren't stupid like people, I'd doubt very many ungulates have died as a result of the Region 5 fires. All the fires I roamed for a month in 03, I came across a dead squirrel. Others weren't finding corpses either. Ungulates were spotted returning within days of the fire passing though. Fire is weird, in that it will leave many patches of ground untouched, especially when it travels through the crown.