Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry a compound bow?

How do you carry a compound bow?

If you have to hike/climb unfriendly terrain requiring frequent use of both hands, what is the best way to carry the bow?

Is there a way to attach it to the back of a pack? This might work, though I'm not sure if walking through thick crap is going to thrash up the bow and snag the string up on things.

Another thought I had (though still have to test) is that I might be able to fit it in my pack. I'm not sure if this will be rough on the cams. Not sure how durable these things are and don't want to break or bend anything.

Any ideas are appreciated!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How do you carry a compound bow?

There are a lot of packs out there designed with bow/rifle mounting options but basically it is a sleeve at the bottom the your rifle/bow rests in with gravity and then strapped to the back. I have a few packs with it and find it works well - the only draw back is I usually only need both hands when packing meat and having my rifle strapped to the back of the pack in g-bear country doesn't seem to be the wisest move - but you do what you gotta do!
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...

For hiking to my spots I will strap it to the back of my pack. I've bought a few extra straps with buckles to fit it to any pack. I try to center the bow so it's not super high to hook on tree branches, but not to low if I fall I crush the bottom cam. I will sometimes use a bow sling on long hikes to protect the cams and string but it's one more thing to fiddle with.
    Use caution hiking thru thick stuff with a bow mounted quiver. Branches tend to pull off individual arrows at times. I've lost a couple arrows that way. An alternative if hiking for a time before you want to hunt ( my hike is two hours into a different zone) is to take the bh off put em in a case the put the arrows in a home made pvc pipe case.
    i use a badlands 2200 and a mr 6500 pack.
    when solo hunting overnighters I tend to have a shotgun in the side of my pack ( I call it my night light) butt into a water bottle pocket with only one buckle holding it in, hiking poles in my hands and bear spray on a homemade "tactical" Theigh bolster. Bow on the back.
    Everytime I leave the shot gun at home I seem to have close
    encount with predators.
    Practice taking your bow off your pack quietly and quickly.
    Last edited by allan; 08-11-2017 at 08:20 AM.

http://canadiantire.ca/products/search

On in store clearance at the Grandview location of you wanna save a couple bucks, keeps the strings and cams protected from branches and snags.

Kudos to Stroodle for using the term 'draw back'.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Lots of different things to think about. As others have said, I have a pack that has a pocket at the bottom on the back and I slide the cams into it and then it straps across the top. If I'm hiking and need all fours, I put the bow on the back. Otherwise I use a neoprene sling. It's quick enough, if I'm getting excited I can get it off and be at the ready. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/58578/primos-neoprene-bow-sling

I run the Kifaru EMR2 with Grab It and it does a really good job of securing it to the pack, still trying to figure out somewhere to put my quiver off the bow without bending the arrows. I was looking at the solo hunter sling for when I want my bow quicker, and I like it keeps my strings covered. I have the Tight Spit quiver and really tightened the arrow holders down, needs a little thumb pressure right at the holding spot and if you grab from other parts of the arrow it just flexes so I feel pretty good about the retention. Having said that, this is my first year hunting with a bow so I am sure there will be changes and I am looking for a sight cover to protect my pins.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Lots of different things to think about. As others have said, I have a pack that has a pocket at the bottom on the back and I slide the cams into it and then it straps across the top. If I'm hiking and need all fours, I put the bow on the back. Otherwise I use a neoprene sling. It's quick enough, if I'm getting excited I can get it off and be at the ready. http://www.cabelas.ca/product/58578/primos-neoprene-bow-sling

Looks like my link was no good, same product mentioned here though

Depends what I am doing. Whilst stalking, or when walking through likely areas, I carry it in my hand. If I am walking in/out for a long way, especially through areas I am unlikely to see much, I use a shoulder strap.

I usually pack my bow in hand... but if going through rough terrain and need both hands I strap it to my back pack.
    I use a Badlands 2200. So it has built in straps for rifle or bow...
    vegetables are what food eats.