Thread: Salmon - "Single Hook"

Salmon - "Single Hook"

Hi guys, I have a dumb question. I'm reading the BC regs for where I will be fishing, and it says "Barbless hook and line" www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html

Just so I'm clear, does this mean you can only use ONE single hook on the line at all times? Or can you use multiple single hooks on a line, as long as they are single hooks (as opposed to triple)? I've seen a few mooching setups where the guys use a cut plug with two hooks (one up front, one further back) but I don't know if that is legal for BC fishing.

I'm fairly new to this, so want to make sure I know exactly what the rules are before heading out. Figured I'd ask the experienced guys here.

EDIT: will be fishing from a Kayak around Bowen Island area, using a mooching setup.
    Last edited by hansol; 08-09-2017 at 10:12 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Salmon - "Single Hook"

If you're fishing in area 28 you can use tandem hooks as many do when fishing bait, treble up front and a tandem single in the rear.

About the 6th point down.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...nlawfulactions

And more here.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r...-eng.html#gear

Smarter guys than me on here but I'm pretty sure the salmon regs are federal, not provincial. I seem to recall having the same dilemma as you a few years ago and it turns out I was reading the wrong set of regs.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Smarter guys than me on here but I'm pretty sure the salmon regs are federal, not provincial. I seem to recall having the same dilemma as you a few years ago and it turns out I was reading the wrong set of regs.
    Could be.....I just assumed that if he was looking at area 28 that he was fishing tidal waters and as I only fish from a boat I made a quick assumption that could definitely be misleading.

Hansol....is it local Vancouver waters and where are you fishing; shore, from a boat, in a river system that is still deemed tidal?

Maybe clarify a bit for us.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 08-09-2017 at 10:05 AM.

MB_Boy, I'm actually getting in to kayak fishing, so I'll be out on the waters around Bowen Island. I have family out there and thought I would drag my kayak out there during my next visit and see what happens. Just don't want to make a rookie mistake of mis-reading regs.

The way I interpreted things was that you are limited to a solo single hook on a single line, no extras. But figured I'd check with the regulars here before I ran off and started buying gear.

Quote Originally Posted by MB_Boy View Post
    Could be.....I just assumed that if he was looking at area 28 that he was fishing tidal waters and as I only fish from a boat I made a quick assumption that could definitely be misleading.

Hansol....is it local Vancouver waters and where are you fishing; shore, from a boat, in a river system that is still deemed tidal?

Maybe clarify a bit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by hansol View Post
    MB_Boy, I'm actually getting in to kayak fishing, so I'll be out on the waters around Bowen Island. I have family out there and thought I would drag my kayak out there during my next visit and see what happens. Just don't want to make a rookie mistake of mis-reading regs.

The way I interpreted things was that you are limited to a solo single hook on a single line, no extras. But figured I'd check with the regulars here before I ran off and started buying gear.

Fishing out off Bowen you can run tandem hooks. 90% of rigged hoochies you buy in the store are rigged up with tandem. If you decide to run bait, you can also have tandem hooks as noted above, lots run them with a treble up front a single stinger/trailing hook behind OR you can rig up a cut plug but it's not commonly done down here.

From one of my links above. A tandem rigged hoochie is not arranged to catch more than 1 fish as is a tandem rig for bait.

It is illegal to angle with a fishing line that has more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly attached except:
    • in the tidal waters of the Fraser River, where you can attach two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies to a bar rig
    • in tidal waters, where you can attach any number of hooks to a fishing line if using the hooks in combination to hold a single piece of bait and if they’re not arranged so as to catch more than one fish. This does not apply in areas restricted to the use of only one single barbless hook
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 08-09-2017 at 10:17 AM.

MB is correct and make sure they are barb less hooks.