Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Sheep Hunt (Sept 2017)

Re: First Sheep Hunt (Sept 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Great list! My two cents:
    - trekking poles are a must.
    - gps is redundant if you have inreach and cell phone.
    - knife sharpener redundant if you have a havalon + spare blades
    - I am too lazy to carry a pillow. I roll up clothes for that purpose.
    Very good points here, and good list OP....I use my pack itself as a pillow, with equipment out of course, very comfortable for me...saw compass on your list, I recommend a good one like a suunto..make sure you have a good map of the area, don't rely just on your GPS or whatever for that..

Looks pretty awesome. Few minor things that could shed some weight.. Vortex Pro GT is sweet, but @ 4.4 LBs, there are lighter options (depending on budget, or if someone else has a lighter one you could use). You could ditch the spare laces and use the paracord from your kill kit if you need. I'd ditch the sharpener.. One major perk to the Havalon. Id also consider bringing a little sunscreen. Higher elevations and warm weather can cook ya.

3 things to add to a first aid kit for your car or when in the woods: quick clot for any serious bleeds, 81mg baby aspirin ( in case of heart attack) and any prescriptions or meds you or your group members take on a daily basis including a few days extra supply.

Also include a fishing hook and line in the first aid kit to use in place of stitches in the event of a serious cut.

7 days is a little shy for a Stone's hunt but at least your getting out. Assuming a day to get in and a day to get out that leaves you with 5 days. The weather can keep you in the tent for a couple days or more at that time of year.
    If you're trying to maximize your time and cover ground it can be beneficial to move your camp as you hunt. Not sure how that would work with the tent/stove you are bringing. Look forward in hearing about the adventure.
    "Every time is a once-in-a-lifetime experience . . . all different" Glenn St. Charles

LIFE MEMBER: RMGA, WSSBC, BGRCBC

Leaving for our Sheep hunt tomorrow, 3 hunters all packing 65 lbs similar gear as yourself with a couple of extra items, NUNNs electrolyte tablets for your water jug or bladder very good help against cramping and keeps the body energized. We also pack an electric bear fence weight around 4 lbs, came in handy on our last trip to Spatsizi, kept a critter away from the camp one night around 3am, all we heard was a loud wimper and a crying sound as an animal ran from our fence.
    Also you can not beat wet ones for ass wipe and cleaning your face and pits. Leave the toilet paper and only bring 50 wet ones or so. And I agree 8 bullets per hunter should be enough, 1 for the sheep 3 to scare bears, and 4 for the wolves.
    Have a great time, I hope I have a good story to post when we get back.
    Do'nt rush your shot, that's when the work starts.

Sh!tloada Starbucks Via's.
    Micky (at least) of something alcoholic.
    Trust me.

Thanks all. Some great suggestions here. We will be considering every one. Keep them coming!
    Mike & Kelly

Download our podcast "The Rookie Hunter" from iTunes or stream it from our website.

http://www.therookiehunter.com/podcast/
    https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/the-rookie-hunter/id1091008357

I would ditch the water filter. No idea were you are going but I have never had an issue finding good water in the mountains in September. Also make sure you get the bio degradable wet wipes.

Have a a great trip.

QK

Quote Originally Posted by drum_boy101 View Post
    Looking forward to hearing the story on your podcast!
    which podcast? im always looking for more