Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12x50 binos

12x50 binos

Thinking of picking up some 12x50's. Mainly for times when I'm sitting and glassing a larger area. Eventually would like to get a tripod. Only problem is budget. I simply can't afford some of the high end brands. I was looking at maybe the vortex diamodbacks, or maybe the Celestron granite series, if I can find a good price.

Thought's . . . . Recommendations?

Thanks,

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 12x50 binos

No spotter either. Just a set of 8x32 that I keep around my neck. They are nice for taking a quick look, but often I'm wanting more.

Get a spotter...12 x binos are big and bulky, and really aren't that much of an advantage over 10x...

I was in a similar situation last year. I didn't need the magnification you need so my advice may not work for you. I bought a pair of porro prism binos instead of roof prism. Porros have much better qualities than a roof prism binoculars of the same price. Here is the post for the binos I got:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ism-binoculars

Quote Originally Posted by chele View Post
    I was in a similar situation last year. I didn't need the magnification you need so my advice may not work for you. I bought a pair of porro prism binos instead of roof prism. Porros have much better qualities than a roof prism binoculars of the same price. Here is the post for the binos I got:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ism-binoculars
    Thanks for the link. I never thought to look at porros. Back to more research I guess.

Go for it. I have 15x50 that I mount to a tripod and it's way better than a spotter. They really improved my glassing. Don't get me wrong I do have a spotter but it only comes out once I locat something worth taking a better look. For sure buy a tripod.
    Two eyes are way better than one and reduces eye strain huge during long glassing sessions. Because you have 8x32 I would get 15x binos. I think they would serve you better. Try the vortex kaibabs. They get really good reviews. I treated myself to a pair of swaro though
    Last edited by Brew; 08-08-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

No experience with the 12x50s, although I'm interested in trying a set. I would say try out a tripod setup with your 8x32 though first if you're able. You might be surprised at how effective the 8s are once stabilized on a tripod for long glassing sessions. It'll improve your glassing game big time, and give you more time to save up for a better pair of binos if you wanted to.

Just a word of caution. It is very hard to hold 12 x anything steady enough to see objects. I would not go higher than 10x 42. This is from 40 plus years in the lens business. Trying to tell an immature moose at 300 meters with a 12x50 would be like drinking coffee on a quad in an open cup on a rough road. Doable but not fun.

I have the Diamondbacks and they are VERY good for the price, would certainly recommend them. This year I'm also getting a lightweight tripod for glassing with the binos.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education