Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12x50 binos

Re: 12x50 binos

Too much bino IMO

I can feel the difference trying to focus for long periods of time out of 10x42 compared to my 8x42's. I couldn't imagine trying to glass continually with 12x50s without a tripod.

Thanks for all the input. I've got more to think about now. Also have more time as the fund's I had set a side are now required for more important matters.
    The main plan was to use the 12's on a tripod and keep the 8's for general looking. So maybe a spotter would be better, although I really liked glassing with some 15x. Binos. To much to think about.
    Any tripod recommendations, in the 200-300 range?

This is what I purchased several years ago for my professional camera.
    I kept just in case. I have a "V" block mounted on the top for shooting. I can quickly remove it and put my Binoculars on it.
    I see now they have a lightweight aluminium model.
    https://www.manfrotto.ca/products/ph...pod-with-heads

I run a Slik Sprint Pro II tripod with a Benro S2 panhead. The total cost was about $250. You can also get the same tripod with a cheaper Slik panhead for well under $200. I am pleased with the setup for what I paid. The setup obviously isn't as steady or robust as more expensive models, but it holds my binos and spotter beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Frango View Post
    Just a word of caution. It is very hard to hold 12 x anything steady enough to see objects. I would not go higher than 10x 42. This is from 40 plus years in the lens business. Trying to tell an immature moose at 300 meters with a 12x50 would be like drinking coffee on a quad in an open cup on a rough road. Doable but not fun.
    +1!

Others may have steadier hands and better eyes than I, but even in my 30s this is becoming an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Frango View Post
    Just a word of caution. It is very hard to hold 12 x anything steady enough to see objects. I would not go higher than 10x 42. This is from 40 plus years in the lens business. Trying to tell an immature moose at 300 meters with a 12x50 would be like drinking coffee on a quad in an open cup on a rough road. Doable but not fun.
    +2!

Even with my 10.5 x 42's I have trouble with anything outside 100 yards if I have to watch it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    +1!

Others may have steadier hands and better eyes than I, but even in my 30s this is becoming an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson017 View Post
    +2!

Even with my 10.5 x 42's I have trouble with anything outside 100 yards if I have to watch it for a while.
    Hence the need for a tripod.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Quote Originally Posted by huntcoop View Post
    Hence the need for a tripod.
    Next binos I buy, I'll check for compatibility with a tripod.

Does this mean I'm committed to a single brand of glass?
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Don't think so SB, I think many binoculars have a 1/4 x 20 hole in the front. I just had to unscrew the cap between the objective lenses on mine, and buy an adapter that connects the binos to a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Next binos I buy, I'll check for compatibility with a tripod.

Does this mean I'm committed to a single brand of glass?
    Could just use your shooting stick.