Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your wolf hunting tips to help the ungulates

Share your wolf hunting tips to help the ungulates

Hi guys,

I've talked with a regional gov biologist as well as listening to what people on here have to say as well as information from other sources. What people are saying about hunting predators is true; we need to do it to help our ungulate populations. Predator hunting this year is even more important as the fires are devastating important habitat for our vegetarian buddies (the ungulates).

Anyways, enough backstory on why we need the information, but how would you more veteran predator hunters go about hunting wolves?

Lets see some posts. Lets get some information. Lets help out the animals we love to hunt.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Share your wolf hunting tips to help the ungulates

Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    Hi guys,

I've talked with a regional gov biologist as well as listening to what people on here have to say as well as information from other sources. What people are saying about hunting predators is true; we need to do it to help our ungulate populations. Predator hunting this year is even more important as the fires are devastating important habitat for our vegetarian buddies (the ungulates).

Anyways, enough backstory on why we need the information, but how would you more veteran predator hunters go about hunting wolves?

Lets see some posts. Lets get some information. Lets help out the animals we love to hunt.
    Some funny stuff there "Lets help out the animals we love to hunt" all your trying to do is change how does the killing of the ungulates
    nothing to do with conservation.
    The people that get on the kill the predator kick to save things quit often are causing more of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Some funny stuff there "Lets help out the animals we love to hunt" all your trying to do is change how does the killing of the ungulates
    The people that get on the kill the predator kick to save things quit often are causing more of a problem.
    Its called balance if you are going to take prey you should limit predators as well

Really simple but most today don't realize it.

As for predator hunting tips I suck at it but not bad a trapping so will do my part that way

I don't actively hunt wolves, but have had shooting opportunities on three separate occasions being successful on one. Out of my three experiences, my tips are:

1) Wolves tend to patrol longer distances than bears, or at least quicker than bears. Find moose or cattle populations and stay in the area, wolves will circle back daily, or close to it. (x2)
    2) Calling for moose has called in more wolves for me than small game or wolf calls. (x3)
    3) Stay incredibly still. Once you hear wolves find cover and stay upwind. (x3)
    4) Don't take the first shot that presents itself, patience is key and more wolves will emerge if you stay still and upwind. (x2)
    5) If wolves spot you and decide to investigate, one wolf will approach head on, while others circle. (x2)
    6) If a shot is taken, be prepared for chaos as wolves will run in all directions. BE CAREFUL OF SHOOTING LANES! (x1)
    7) If a wolf is killed the other wolves will eventually return to investigate. Secondary shots are possible, but likely at the edge of thick timber. (x1)

These tips are just my experiences from the Chetwynd, Tumbler Ridge, and Kamloops areas. The "x's" above indicate out of three experiences how many each tip occurred.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

LBM - "Some funny stuff there "Lets help out the animals we love to hunt" all your trying to do is change how does the killing of the ungulates
    The people that get on the kill the predator kick to save things quit often are causing more of a problem."

LBM its not funny stuff; its serious. Populations of mule deer as well as moose are, in general, on the decline. I talked to an ungulate biologist about the issue. Due to fragmented deep timber habitat these animals are having a difficult time "hiding" from predators. They use our roads, railways, ect as highways to wherever the ungulates are quickly and are - paraphrased from the biologist himself. I was also told by the biologist that doing our part in reducing predator numbers to assist the animals in recovery. I'm not saying killing predators will fix the problem. It won't. As with any real life issue there are a number of factors that are involved with the declining populations and we, as hunters, are conservationists as well; if the biologists say that we need to help them by managing predator numbers than we should play our part. Instead of critiquing with uninformed uneducated opinions do something pro-active and make a difference.

For the guys trying to teach those with less experience, thanks for the tips and keep them coming!

Many seem to forget that in the past predators were target a lot harder by hunters and trappers. Trapping alone was a lot more active in the past do to higher fur value and traplines were not going inactive as they are now. Govt has basically ignored there own regulations keeping lines active making it difficult for those who wish to trap. Only a small number of lines have been auctioned off recently with many still siting inactive. Lots of guys try to get into it and lines are in demand but many give up after years of not being able to find one.

Many of the old time hunters shot preds on sight not as common now. Talk to old ranchers and many also went out of there way to thin predators

Than add in the use of poison in the past

Predators in BC have rebounded to a much higher population than the past because of all the changes to what once impacted their numbers

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    What are you on about, taking preds at any time is a good thing, and definitely not detrimental to ungulates unless your destroying habitat in the process..