Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: region 5 hunting season 2017

Re: region 5 hunting season 2017

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    the animals evolved with fire..this is normal in there DNA. It is us hand wringing not them. Go hunting when the bush becomes safe and quit worrying so much.
    Can't disagree with this. Theres still deer hanging out acting normal at the burn at loon lake. Thìs fall the deer should be fine. This winter they will have to learn new habitats with resources capable of supporting them. Regardless there will be deer and great habitat in the coming years!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    ......... With this being said it would be nice if it were easier for us to obtain information regarding the populations in the various regions and units so we could make better informed decisions.
    Hunter effort and success rates is also an important factor in how population health is gauged. If year after year a set group of hunters bring home the tbones with roughly the equal effort, that tells a story.

Hunters take way too much credit for being able to swing the pendulum on game pops.
    But it makes for good ethics chat
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

We shot deer with massive bellies at one end of a large fire where the green cabbage was exploding, as the fire still smoldered on the other end. Herds of 10 - 15 mule deer were daily sightings for us.

Recovery of ungulates into burn areas is natural and surprisingly quick, quicker than most realize.

These animals have evolved in fire-dependent ecosystems for much longer than we've been here hunting them.

As Horshur says, we're wringing our hands but the animals are looking forward to a normal ecosystem that they've been waiting decades for.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Steven. I'm wondering if your statement "the animals can not survive in the fire..fact" is correct. I have seen deer cover a lot of ground in a very short period of time and I'm guessing that they will be able to move ahead of the flames without too much trouble. Consider the bear in the Ft. Mac video recently posted where the black bear was back at the bait barrel days after fire rage through the area. Conceivably, two or three fires burning toward each other have the potential to trap animals, but being unable to escape even that situation is probably rare. I may be wrong, but I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    the animals evolved with fire..this is normal in there DNA. It is us hand wringing not them. Go hunting when the bush becomes safe and quit worrying so much.
    This. And not just in region 5 but all the areas affected by large fires will only mean an increase in grazing animal pops in the next few years. The fall rains are going to flush out green growth like crazy in the next couple months they'll go in to the winter in fine shape. They've evolved with fire for thousands of years this is no big deal.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Exellent points on down the road explosion of growth..have seen this from the chopper in past much smaller fires ..pretty difficult when it's still burning..and no rain diminishing daylight hours for growth.
    I would suggest this is different in that it's one of the 2 largest fires in area burning at once in 100 years .
    Great points by numerous guys..it's really early..too early to tell the degree of deaths of wildlife..even guesses. .and yet hunting season is 4 weeks away..a lot will still be burning.
    The stress..current relocation ..until food sources start to grow back. .for those that did survive..
    How much loss of animals, habitat..how much more stress , harvest can be tolerated..if any..
    We get one chance to get this right or numbers could be down for at least a few years..
    I am concerned..especially for moose poulations on west side they have a extreme time with 24..7..year round hunting with already declining numbers perdom7natly by road access..these hundreds ds of cat roads will not help.
    Good conversation. .different perspectives..again ethics does play a roll..didnt consider buying a Beef for our familly..just thought of going elsewhere for deer moose.
    Srupp

Sorry Steven, respectfully. I have to disagree with your opinion on this entire matter.
    Maybe the big game may move....for now...to some other locations, but in the long run, this fire is the best thing that
    could ever of happened.....for wildlife.

Also, I don't recall any kind of "thought reaction" to you original post, when the Kelowna fire happened.
    Sounds like wildlife is just fine up in Kelowna...even better then before....

Also....look at Yellowstone....let's not forget that fire....
    Look at all the benefits it had for wildlife.

Pine beetle and over logging (due to pine beetle)...in many areas...has been nothing but detrimental to wildlife.
    Roads are littered all over the plateau around cache creek and Clinton due to pine beetle/logging etc.
    This fire has been long over due.

God, if a fire could happen up in the area where I hunt in the EK, it would be the best thing ever for wildlife...
    It's been well over 100 years+ since that area has seen a fire, and pine beetle has taken over, and now the logging,
    granted, the logging has been much more "reserved" in that area, but everytime another road is added up there as well.

I appreciate much of what you post, and the efforts you put in to help etc, but I couldn't disagree with you more on
    this one....
    Just my opinion...BMI

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sorry Steven, respectfully. I have to disagree with your opinion on this entire matter.
    Maybe the big game may move....for now...to some other locations, but in the long run, this fire is the best thing that
    could ever of happened.....for wildlife.

Also, I don't recall any kind of "thought reaction" to you original post, when the Kelowna fire happened.
    Sounds like wildlife is just fine up in Kelowna...even better then before....

Also....look at Yellowstone....let's not forget that fire....
    Look at all the benefits it had for wildlife.

Pine beetle and over logging (due to pine beetle)...in many areas...has been nothing but detrimental to wildlife.
    Roads are littered all over the plateau around cache creek and Clinton due to pine beetle/logging etc.
    This fire has been long over due.

God, if a fire could happen up in the area where I hunt in the EK, it would be the best thing ever for wildlife...
    It's been well over 100 years+ since that area has seen a fire, and pine beetle has taken over, and now the logging,
    granted, the logging has been much more "reserved" in that area, but everytime another road is added up there as well.

I appreciate much of what you post, and the efforts you put in to help etc, but I couldn't disagree with you more on
    this one....
    Just my opinion...BMI
    Looks like you get it fella.

The fires in the Cariboo cover a relatively small area of Region 5 and, as you said, are going to be the best thing to happen to the wildlife in that area. The loss of homes/property/livestock is significant and I truly feel for all those affected but that is a separate issue.

Fires happen, wildlife deals with it and will eventually flourish. We've been talking about applying fire to the landscape for far too long and now nature has taken things into it's own hands.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    We shot deer with massive bellies at one end of a large fire where the green cabbage was exploding, as the fire still smoldered on the other end. Herds of 10 - 15 mule deer were daily sightings for us.

Recovery of ungulates into burn areas is natural and surprisingly quick, quicker than most realize.

These animals have evolved in fire-dependent ecosystems for much longer than we've been here hunting them.

As Horshur says, we're wringing our hands but the animals are looking forward to a normal ecosystem that they've been waiting decades for.
    Bingo. The ecosystem restoration we are seeing first hand right now is more than we could have ever bargained for and will certainly help to speed up wildlife population recoveries.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Great points.i do get what it will do down the road.point I think might be missed. .it's still burning..no chance? For much regrowth this year . definitely in next 60 days or so.
    Does anyone here know the mortality numbers? Neither do I, nor biologists.some of these fires raced for many kilometers in one day.
    And there is currently a ATV, MOTORCYCLE, ban..in someplaces your not even allowed in certain areas.
    When i considered this view, question..i realized all the dead fall combustible materials now gone, trees burned so that sunlight can reach the ground..yes burning will help in a certain time frame.
    Considering most fires are still burning..some still out of control? Or at least minimally contained..with more evacuation alerts orders..allowing hunters into areas just vastly complicates a already troubled time .and truly adds to the remaining wildlife stress..and outcome potential.
    Like I said I don't know the numbers..but it is much bigger problem than some may realize. Bigger area of region 5 burned than in past 100 years.plus the timing is critical in this situation..it is still burning in a lot of areas with more back burning scheduled and tremendously smokey..tick tick.
    Thank you for extreme kindness in your replies..started thinking..and realized far more intelligent knowlegable experienced folks here than me..i have yet to meet anyone who has experienced this level and scope of devestating fires so late ..with lightening expected this coming week and absolutely parched conditions everywhere.

I admire the optimism , I know Mother nature uses fires for habitat improvement..fact is we have become too good at putting smaller fires out creating massive fuel supplies on the ground creating the potential for the perfect storm..which we are currently experiencing.
    I too feel spring bear 2018 the growth from regeneration..added nutrients..missing thick canopies open forest floors. .is all welcome and great news.
    But my concern is still for Sept 1..Nov 2017...unprecedented situation..meaning hasn't happened like this before..

I know..hope the animals will eventually do well., do they need some this fall?
    Appreciate all the replies..some very valid eventual outcomes.
    The grass habitat for Californian bighorn sheep has needed burn offs of mature grasslands for decades..a controlled burn was planned done? Last year?
    Size..timing..and still burning..Precipice. .to Ashcroft..Little fort..Loon Lake to Lynne creek pretty significant areas still burning.

Cheers..and coughs. .very smokey here today..

Again appreciate all the input..not hand wringing..just concerned and thinking..
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 08-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.