Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: region 5 hunting season 2017

Re: region 5 hunting season 2017

Much of the fires have turned the wind fallen trees to ash.....even the ash is all but gone it burned so hot. there will be a lot of area which will take 5 to 10 years to start growing.
    Gcreek is right about the wintering grounds taking a hit. this will effect the deer populations the most. With an already dry year effecting what is left of winter range we better hope for an easy winter for the deer's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    Much of the fires have turned the wind fallen trees to ash.....even the ash is all but gone it burned so hot. there will be a lot of area which will take 5 to 10 years to start growing.
    Gcreek is right about the wintering grounds taking a hit. this will effect the deer populations the most. With an already dry year effecting what is left of winter range we better hope for an easy winter for the deer's sake.
    Yes the winter range being burned will take be a problem.
    But, to be honest, some of those same areas were being scheduled to be logged out anyways.
    I brought up that concern last year, when I heard they were coming in where I hunt in November.
    (there wasn't anything left on the plateau to log anyways...again IMO)
    And another point you made about "blowdown".....
    That fire will be of big benefit for that......wish it would happen in the EK.....pine beetle and blowdown have
    been the biggest reason...IMO...for the Elk having gone elsewhere....
    What was once great habitat for them for wallows and trails and resting areas etc...is just plain uninhabitable now....
    even a squirrel has trouble moving in the crap.
    Anyone ever watch "Yukon men"??
    They had a large fire...and yes...they had troubles finding game etc.
    The ones that moved to hunt areas unaffected by the fire seemed to be successful.
    The ones who hunted their traditional areas, that did see fire, were not.
    BUT, seems that a year later, things were better.
    Honestly folks....
    We have been wanting fires on this forum, to produce the habitat that we all know was needed, and that the ministry
    was either unwillinging or so slow in moving on, that nothing was happening.
    NOW, we have the fire....just a little bigger then some would desire etc.....
    BUT, from what I was seeing, the dead timber laying around, the logging all over the place...with roads only minutes
    aprt if you were out on foot, and endless lengths if open clearcuts that sort of went on forever...
    That scenario was "not" helping anything...IMO
    This fire scenario WILL.
    It was needed, and I for one am glad it actually took care of that entire area....all of it....
    It will be a great place to hunt in years to come....something my daughter can look forward to.
    Just won't be business as normal this year....possibly??
    And this size of fire is what is needed in the EK as well....big...and remove all that blowdown...and without
    creating more roads.
    I think some will not find success this season if that was their go to spots.....they will have to adjust...just like the
    wildlife will.....
    This is just a natural cycle for wildlife....
    Just not natural for ranchers and property owners....
    But then....who was here 1st anyways?
    NO pain...no gain...
    If someone does not want to hunt it to give wildlife a break...then don't...
    I for one will be....
    To be honest, I am pretty selective when it comes to mule deer anyways...so the chances something drops this
    season up there due to me...is pretty low to begin with.
    If there are concerns....then just be selective...
    This HAD to happen.

So, I would say the fire will be the better of the two.....IMO.

^^^^ agreed. Even the logging cuts they do in region 3 now a days are nearly un-walkable/hikable by the time they are done, let alone try to drag an animal out. Everything is left in such a mess they don't clean up worth crap, other areas of the province seem much better, could almost wheel chair through slashes in some other parts of the province. Then as you mentioned all the beetle killed pine and what not that has blown down in areas that haven't been logged.

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    The deer winter range discussion in the cariboo is always interesting

Unfortunately the researchers, litterature, and results don't support the "no fire, old firs only" approach that has been implemented in the cariboo.

Great to have those big vets for snow interception and thermal cover, but when there isn't any browse on the ground for deer to eat because the last fire was over 100 years ago you're going to end up with declining deer pops. Nevermind those old vets grew up and survived through fire, and the seed banks of 'deer food' sitting in the ground have a shelf-life which is probably expiring soon..... if it hasn't already.

100 years without a fire in places that historically burned every 16-18 years. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Great to have a house and a heater, but it doesn't work without a kitchen.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

head to the Fraser basin, the deer will go there, they go there now, no fires there, pretty sure everyone knew this already, more deer there means more to choose from, I would think if there is no food where the fires have been, the deer will migrate to the Fraser with all their buddies. they will adapt, shoot the wolves as they follow.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    The deer winter range discussion in the cariboo is always interesting

Unfortunately the researchers, litterature, and results don't support the "no fire, old firs only" approach that has been implemented in the cariboo.

Great to have those big vets for snow interception and thermal cover, but when there isn't any browse on the ground for deer to eat because the last fire was over 100 years ago you're going to end up with declining deer pops. Nevermind those old vets grew up and survived through fire, and the seed banks of 'deer food' sitting in the ground have a shelf-life which is probably expiring soon..... if it hasn't already.

100 years without a fire in places that historically burned every 16-18 years. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Great to have a house and a heater, but it doesn't work without a kitchen.
    Long term you cannot be more right. This fire is something that in the long run will help wildlife. Short term a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Golddust View Post
    Harry, everyone is in agreeance that the fires are great for the animals in the long term. That fire was 10 years ago. What we are debating now on the short term effects; this year's fires mixed with last years winter, will likely be tough on the animals and maybe we should lay off of them a bit in the areas hit hardest.

Sitka again, I agree, the province needs the fires and our fire suppression efforts are what cause such enormous areas to be burnt in single summers. I forget the tree; but one conifers' cones need the fire fire to germinate. In regards to how quickly the burns greened up I find that surprising and maybe if this is true finding food sources won't be as much of an issue in the areas as some of us believed. However, from my time in university I unfortunately don't believe the areas will be teaming with green pioneer plants in 3 weeks. Hoping what I learned was wrong and your observations are more accurate though.
    Lodgepole pine.....

Laying off the herd that has lost winter range will help how? Think about that.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I never thought of that. More deer = more competition = the smaller pool of resources is spread across more animals. Good point

Hmmm if we are eliminating moose from our discussion. .slightly different story...however a LOT" significant moose wintering locations have been hit by these fires..most of the habitats that each hold well in excess of 100 moose in the Dec. .Jan. .feb..have been hit by fire..how bad? What's left? Don't know yet it still burning..certainly more starts today, last night from lightening.

Deer from as far as Cariboo mts head to a large wintering area. .the Fraser river basin, if you have never seen the concentration of deer you truly won't believe it...awe inspiring.seen these and the Wolverine migration..wolverine lake that is..
    I have never been aware of deer compromised due to lack of available forage on winter grounds..no huge die offs.

The affect of wildlife that did not winter so well in 2016 winter..long..and deep snow season...late snow pack...went straight from snow to dust..no rains till today..
    July 7 fires started..more started today..100% of major fires are still burning , expanding..
    Wildlife is stressed period.
    Hunters get to decide if the next..only 3 possible months that rain..start of snow may provide some relief before Cariboo winter takes over until next May.
    It's not only the actual harvest..it's also the constant pressure of pushing wildlife that survived the fire has been funneledIinto small areas and concentrated.Wildlife pushed by the fires won't run to Alberta however they will run to the closest habitat that they feel safe in and presents opportunities for safety and food.
    It's not over..fires continue to rage., smolder..hot spots are re kindling" with recent winds.
    In some areas that didn't burn are subject to forestry burning to remove that fuel source.
    It well be a moote" point as hunting is effectively closed now.untill the back country closure is removed hopefully by sept?not for wildlife but it will mean we finally are slowing stopping these fires.
    We are providing meat to those that lost their freezers protein storage.wonderful stepping up as hunters.
    Now as hunters what is it we can do for wildlife that provides this protein...it's just a question.
    Srupp