Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm, affordable, hunting clothes!

Re: Warm, affordable, hunting clothes!

Army surplus...

Quote Originally Posted by BCptown View Post
    Hey all,

Looking for some recommendations for warm, affordable, and reliable hunting clothing. I have yet to find stuff that will hold its own that isn't $300 plus. Thank all, happy hunting
    merino wool, fleece on top
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Being an Australian I don't have to deal with too much cold weather hunting. But I have hunted NZ numerous times, Alaska once (and hunting there again in 3 weeks) and I swear by Swazi clothing. NZ made and reasonably cheap. I also use merino fleece underwear. Have a look at the Swazi site. They do make great gear.

http://www.swazi.co.nz/au/

cheers

Oz Bob

Many moons ago I worked in a shop that sold lots of that big bill/codet wool gear. It's good gear for the money. And keep your eye on some the big store websites for off season clearance and sales. I've bought most of my stuff on sale during the off season

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    merino wool, fleece on top
    The problem with fleece is that it absorbs water like crazy and snow sticks to it like gorilla snot. It also lets the wind whistle right thru.
    It is light and warm so in the right conditions it is ideal.
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by plumberjustin View Post
    Hate to say it, but Remington realtree camo from Walmart has proven to be very good over the past 5 seasons for me. I bought the bibbs and 2 piece jacket for well under $200.
    Really??
    The pants fell apart, stitching let go, and they're gangster baggy cut, not at all suitable for hiking around in my experience.
    The coat is good for sunfest-type activities, when it's important to let people know how country you are, but it soaks up water like nobodies business in my experience.

I'm using badlands exo pants (on sale for $100), and whatever else I find on sale. I wear cabelas packlight raingear jacket and pants, about $200 for the set when I bought it, or if it's really pissing, pioneer green rubber bibs and the packlight jacket. Insulation layers are mostly polar fleece or wool that was cheap at value village.
    Last edited by Squamch; 08-07-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Squamch View Post
    Really??
    The pants fell apart, stitching let go, and they're gangster baggy cut, not at all suitable for hiking around in my experience.
    The coat is good for sunfest-type activities, when it's important to let people know how country you are, but it soaks up water like nobodies business in my experience.

I'm using badlands exo pants (on sale for $100), and whatever else I find on sale. I wear cabelas packlight raingear jacket and pants, about $200 for the set when I bought it, or if it's really pissing, pioneer green rubber bibs and the packlight jacket. Insulation layers are mostly polar fleece or wool that was cheap at value village.
    x2, the remington realtree stuff is JUNK if you plan on hiking. Good for sitting in the pickup though.

I wear Merino socks and base layer, then carhartt pants on bottom with a light fleece up top, covered by an Under Armour camo gortex jacket I picked up from Cabelas. I find I'm warm all day in this and I can hike around a helluva lot easier in the carhartts than I could wearing the Walmart realtree camo equivalent pants which I found terribly baggy and noisy as hell to boot.

For me, the biggest $$$ went in to the UA gortex jacket and my boots.. I want it to be waterproof for waterfowling and don't want my feet barking at me all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Travalanche View Post
    www.gostwear.com

Canadian made wool clothing. I have two pants and two jackets from there, it's the best outdoors clothing I've ever owned and affordable. Unless you feel the need for camo for whatever reason, cant beat their stuff.
    Thank you for posting the website.
    I went online this morning and ordered the marino wool pants and the marino wool archery jacket. Half the price of other wool products almost.
    And i use allot of marino wool shirts socks and sweaters now so...
    Thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by 1 shot 1 kill View Post
    Thank you for posting the website.
    I went online this morning and ordered the marino wool pants and the marino wool archery jacket. Half the price of other wool products almost.
    And i use allot of marino wool shirts socks and sweaters now so...
    Thanks again..
    No problem! you wont be disappointed. Like I said, have two pairs of the big bill pants and two big bill jackets. I have beaten the crap out of this stuff and it holds up to whatever I can throw at it. Best clothing I have ever owned.