Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear Cruzer Opinion

Re: Bear Cruzer Opinion

Do you guys sight your first pin at 10 or 20? After that do you use 10 or 20 yard increments? I am guessing this varies between hunters. I set my first one at 20 and second one at 30. If I shoot at 10 with the first pin set for 20 , it's about 3 high. Seems easy to remember so I didn't feel the need for a 10 yard pin. I could be missing something. Hopefully I am not being silly and unorthodox. I've watched many hours worth of YouTube but still lots of random questions
    Last edited by caddisguy; 08-06-2017 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Do you guys sight your first pin at 10 or 20? After that do you use 10 or 20 yard increments? I am guessing this varies between hunters. I set my first one at 20 and second one at 30. If I shoot at 10 with the first pin set for 20 , it's about 3 high. Seems easy to remember so I didn't feel the need for a 10 yard pin. I could be missing something. Hopefully I am not being silly and unorthodox. I've watched many hours worth of YouTube but still lots of random questions

Most start at 20 and each pin after is 10 yards more than the last

It is wise to shoot at a target at 10yards using your 20yard pin to see your point of impact. Each bow set up is slightly different some you will see no change others a couple inches. Also practice your inbetween yardages 25 35 ext because 5 yards makes a difference

This where 3D shoots are great

When I used aluminum arrows my first pin was at 10 yards and the rest were at 10 yard increments. Since I went to graphite arrows my first pin is at 20 yards and the rest at 10 yard increments. I believe if I use my 20 pin at 10 yards I hit about 2 inches high. If you are going to hunt grouse or small game with your bow you may want a tuned in 10 yard pin.

This is all way beyond helpful, thank you too everyone!

Very helpful indeed. Sorry to derail with the sighting questions but hopefully it's helpful all around. Thanks steveo and Wildone, you guys are awesome.

Good advice about after that 25-35 yard point. I learned that's a quick way to mess up some arrows. Our target is about 2 feet high and 1.5 wide. I really noticed the drop, at least with the arrows I am using at 20-30yards. I spent a lot of time this weekend shooting from random distances to guesstimate distance and found that with a small target, 5-10 yards would cost me an arrow (small target and rocky creek bed as a backstop)

Yup it's always good to have a nice backstop that don't break arrows when learns oddball yardages with archery lol. Old carpet draped over a rope works good. Don't secure the bottom of the carpet you want it to move so it absorbs the impact of the arrow. Cheaper than breaking arrows

a trick for learning to judge distance and shoot odd ball yardage take a ball toss it shoot your target from wherever the ball lands. Try angles as well

Learn to shoot from positions beyond standing from your knees, a chair, tree stand, one foot on a box ext. When your hunting standing perfect is often not how things work out. Personally have found myself shooting at animals from my knees often but I often resort to crawling to get close

practice yardage estimation go for a hike in the woods with a rangefinder ... walk a bit find something .. estimate the yardage ... zap it to confirm ....
    lots in the woods to skull **** you ... shadows etc ....

I used to pull a 50 yard rope with flags tied every 10 yards to train for 3D when I was serious about competing.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bowzone_Mikey View Post
    practice yardage estimation go for a hike in the woods with a rangefinder ... walk a bit find something .. estimate the yardage ... zap it to confirm ....
    lots in the woods to skull **** you ... shadows etc ....

I used to pull a 50 yard rope with flags tied every 10 yards to train for 3D when I was serious about competing.

Good advice

elevation changes and shooting across ravines are also ones that mess up people's estimations

I am working on that video from our shooting session with the Bear Cruzer this weekend. Movie Maker is being a PITA so I have am uploading *everything* to YouTube so I can try to edit it there. An entire day spent on some trailcam vids and a shooting vid and still didn't put a dent in the video backlog

Please don't post just on my request. Again thank you for all the valuable info!