Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lets all create more wildlife together as a team

Re: Lets all create more wildlife together as a team

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    I don't even think you hunt, Larry. Nor are you willing to do anything to help wildlife.
    Again your putting out false information.
    Some people can hunt and still be concerned about wildlife conservation, well if there was just one whitetail doe left in the country you
    would still think and say you should be allowed to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    They are hence talk of road deactivation

Humans are no doubt a factor in many different ways. The way we change or destroy habitat is the biggest factor

But we are not the only factor
    True not the only factor, but quit possible the largest factor depending on which region.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yes logging is necessary for families, and has created/given us hunters roads to access great hunting opportunities
    that we all on this community should be thankful for....but, this "pine beetle fiasco" has created way too many roads,
    as forestry companies try to cut down as much timber as possible before the beetle kills it.
    And, from my understanding, because forestry companies have to pay a "stumpage fee", they are leaving the dead
    timber (pine beetle killed) where it lies....just adding more fuel sources.
    Kinda laughing at this. Any pine left in the bush would either be a load that's too small to make a logging truck load, or a pile of pulp wood that's too far to make it economically feasible to ship. The stumpage on #4's (pulp wood) was 25 cents a cubic meter the last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    True not the only factor, but quit possible the largest factor depending on which region.
    As a hunter who learned to hide from others in strange pockets I realize human impact. I also believe there is a possibility stress caused by humans is an factor going unnoticed. The behaviour of animals is way different in areas they are not bothered by humans

The fires right now have been the best thing to restore wildlife #'s.
    I feel sorry for personnel property loss due to the fires that are going on right now....but....
    if we are speaking strictly "create more wildlife" (disregarding human property loss etc)....I say burn baby burn!
    There are some areas in the EK that need "huge 100,000 + hectare fires as well!
    The only way that this type of "enhancement" will ever happen is from a "raging, uncontrollable wildfire"
    Human prescribed burns couldn't even come close to this type of "wildlife/habitat enhancement" going on right
    now.
    And with fires, there are no roads ( or not many) being created to cause further concern about (over/easy access)
    having more road deactivations.
    Yes logging is necessary for families, and has created/given us hunters roads to access great hunting opportunities
    that we all on this community should be thankful for....but, this "pine beetle fiasco" has created way too many roads,
    as forestry companies try to cut down as much timber as possible before the beetle kills it.
    And, from my understanding, because forestry companies have to pay a "stumpage fee", they are leaving the dead
    timber (pine beetle killed) where it lies....just adding more fuel sources.
    The change to the practice in the later 90's was not for the better IMO for anybody, especially wildlife.
    They need to clean up those cut blocks better, and burn it all when they are done.
    Oh, and I don't really want to get into the science factor, if we still have some groups who hunt in BC, but don't
    have to give #'s to the ministry of what they "harvest".
    How can we have science, if you can't "plug in" the correct #'s into the calculator???
    Garbage in...garbage out...
    Atv's should have to stay on the main roads....just like a truck....
    They should not be allowed to "make new trails" throughout this province....
    I don't necessarily blame the quad guys...it is more the "dirt bike clubs" who are creating these "new trails"...
    The quad guys just find them....and off they go.
    Ya...going to get some "heat" from the quad hunters from that last statement....but it is for the best to "help wildlife"
    Sorry, but wildlife do need some areas where they are not continuously "hassled".
    Habitat and access are probably the biggest factors.
    Pred control is another issue.
    Many in the ministry.... I think....feel that high pred #'s is just a short term problem that will rectify itself.....
    which is true.....but it means the ungulate #'s will have to drop 1st.....then the preds die off naturally....
    But, this thread is about making ungulate #'s flourish...so....you have to lower the high pred #'s we have right now.
    Answer......poison.

Skidded lots of beatle kill a long with salvaged fires. It would blow your mind what some outfits salvage

Unfortunately a lot of hunters are not in favour of road closures or deactivation... especially in the east Koots...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Kinda laughing at this. Any pine left in the bush would either be a load that's too small to make a logging truck load, or a pile of pulp wood that's too far to make it economically feasible to ship. The stumpage on #4's (pulp wood) was 25 cents a cubic meter the last time I checked.
    Okay....when I am out there hunting, and I see the crews out working and they stop to talk...I ask questions.
    If my information is wrong, it is only because those out in the field logging have passed along misinformation or
    just plain bs.
    So, my ears may hear wrong.....but my eyes don't lie.
    I have seen some real changes to how things are removed from a cutblock, and what is not anymore....
    especially since the mid 90's.
    I do know I have seen hillsides that are half pine beetle killed, and other sections that are still green.
    The green stuff is cut down, the dead stuff is still standing.....
    I will take photos for all to see if anyone wishes to see....although the beetled killed trees are no longer
    red.....grey/black.....but you can see them still standing....and just below, and entire section that was removed...
    the green stuff.
    To me, that is the lesser of the problem....as far as I am concerned.....some good kindling has been left for the
    next big fire to start.....don't know when....but I guarantee it will happen
    The bigger issue has been the large areas that have been ripped down due to pine beetle/logging.
    The roads....way too many now.
    And, if you only do believe what you see....like me...
    then I recommend anybody to look at google earth time lapse....
    Move into the area above cache creek...to the north and east of that town....start in 1986....till now.....
    It's quite something to see, and yet.....it all burned now....there was still lots of fuel laying there.
    Like I said...I am not blaming the guys working out there, but I do believe those large swaths of open cutblock
    country, and all those roads, have "not helped" wildlife flourish.....wolves yes.

Okay....when I am out there hunting, and I see the crews out working and they stop to talk...I ask questions.
    If my information is wrong, it is only because those out in the field logging have passed along misinformation or
    just plain bs.
    So, my ears may hear wrong.....but my eyes don't lie.
    I have seen some real changes to how things are removed from a cutblock, and what is not anymore....
    especially since the mid 90's.
    I do know I have seen hillsides that are half pine beetle killed, and other sections that are still green.
    The green stuff is cut down, the dead stuff is still standing.....
    I will take photos for all to see if anyone wishes to see....although the beetled killed trees are no longer
    red.....grey/black.....but you can see them still standing....and just below, and entire section that was removed...
    the green stuff.
    To me, that is the lesser of the problem....as far as I am concerned.....some good kindling has been left for the
    next big fire to start.....don't know when....but I guarantee it will happen
    The bigger issue has been the large areas that have been ripped down due to pine beetle/logging.
    The roads....way too many now.
    And, if you only do believe what you see....like me...
    then I recommend anybody to look at google earth time lapse....
    Move into the area above cache creek...to the north and east of that town....start in 1986....till now.....
    It's quite something to see, and yet.....it all burned now....there was still lots of fuel laying there.
    Like I said...I am not blaming the guys working out there, but I do believe those large swaths of open cutblock
    country, and all those roads, have "not helped" wildlife flourish.....wolves yes.
    You have it right ,at least in the okanagan , Not sure about where Boner lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    So what you're saying is that all the science on mule deer should be abandoned, and we should pour scarce resources into what hasn't worked elsewhere?

Why didn't mule deer respond to pred control in 95% of studies?

When asked what makes a difference in mule deer populations at a recent presentation in Kelowna, mule deer expert Dr Sophie Gilbert answered "Habitat, habitat, habitat." You can check her credentials here: http://www.gilbertresearch.org/dr-sophie-gilbert/
    While I understand the importance of habitat , I struggle with the notion of lack of habitat , at least in the okanagan/WK regions that I frequent . Area's that used to hold hundreds of MD or WT now have a fraction of that population . The feed is knee deep , just no critters to eat it . The exception is some loss of winter range due to human expansion . Not sure sure how this fits with the habitat habitat theory ??

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    You have it right ,at least in the okanagan , Not sure about where Boner lives.
    I'm still seeing load after load of beetle killed pine on Hwy 97 driving into PG. Are there pulp mills or chipping mills near where you fellows are seeing standing dead pine, or decks of pine logs? In fairness I did see decks of pulp wood three hours driving from a pulp mill in region 3...