Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets all create more wildlife together as a team

Lets all create more wildlife together as a team

I believe we all know where we currently stand on the current wildlife allocation policy..We all know that more importantly, RH's and GO's need to bring decreasing wildlife numbers and AAH in many parts of our province back up...So we've finally gotten the provincial government to dedicate all hunting and wildlife $$ that we as hunters spend on tags etc back into wildlife, and that's a huge positive step in the right direction...so now what?? I thought we were going to get an independent group (independent from government) to take control of the funds, and use them toward wildlife and habitat..latest I've heard is that a bunch of other wildlife/habitat groups with different views and interests on wildlife are opposing this, and I can't find anything on the BCWF website or anywhere that says what our next move is...

Can we tell them all to put their $$ where their mouths are, like we do, or shut up and go away?? Can we get this ball rolling sooner than later by a new petition toward the provincial government to stop sitting on their hands and make some decisions with regards to the funding so we can move forward??

I have some ideas with regards to spending that $$...I think we should start killing two birds with one stone, and do aerial surveys and aerial shooting of wolves at the same time (or is the new NDP govt not going to support a wolf cull?) And Maybe we should start using some of that $$ toward spur FSR deactivation - is there any other way to inhibit FN harvest?? And what about FN hunter education? - getting them to realize OUR importance as conservationists, to stop putting up illegal road blocks and start working with us, and in areas from what I've heard like Region 5, stop the harvest of female breeding animals!(I know that it's only certain FN that do this, many are awesome and abide by our hunting seasons, and many do a lot for conservation).

Take for example, I'm excited for the potential wildlife booms we could have in region 8 with all the recent burns, but could you imagine how good the hunting could be if we de-activated a portion of our massive FSR access??

Everybody chime in....what's our next move, and how we going to do it??

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lets all create more wildlife together as a team

"So we've finally gotten the provincial government to dedicate all hunting and wildlife $$ that we as hunters spend on tags etc back into wildlife"

Do we know that the GreeNDP are going to follow through on that?
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

^^^^^i sure hope so....are we all going to write individually, or is this something the BCWF can get the official word on for us???

They don't have to deactivate the forest service roads they just have to ban vehicle access, which is fine for the guides as they will have horses and planes to fly in the clients. Way less competition from resident hunters that way. Maybe if all game is put on LEH the harvests could be tightly controlled, harvest reporting could be online too. Some resident hunters would get NIL on everything, but what the heck, it's just less competition for guided hunters. Maybe the first step should be to have no guided hunts for animals that have to be under LEH because there is a heavy resident demand?? Limit the FN harvest? Well just give each family all the free AAA beef they want for free, but then everyone would complain about that so it might not work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Chipman View Post
    "So we've finally gotten the provincial government to dedicate all hunting and wildlife $$ that we as hunters spend on tags etc back into wildlife"

Do we know that the GreeNDP are going to follow through on that?
    NDGreen never committed to the wildlife funding model.

They said they were in favour of tag money going to wildlife, but there's already more than annual tag revenue going to wildlife so we have no pledge to increase that funding by putting the tag portion in a separate organization like we had with the Libs.

I fully expect the NDGreen to listen to the enviros opposed to the funding model, who supported them in the election, and the separate wildlife society won't happen. I also expect them to simply say, "Okay, wildlife gets $18 million a year (as it currently does from general revenue), so we'll make sure your $10 million in tag revenue makes up part of that $18 million."

The NDP, being run by the public sector unions like the BCGEU, would be under tremendous pressure not to contract out any wildlife management to a separate group.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

[QUOTE=Fisher-Dude;1924723]NDGreen never committed to the wildlife funding model.

They said they were in favour of tag money going to wildlife, but there's already more than annual tag revenue going to wildlife so we have no pledge to increase that funding by putting the tag portion in a separate organization like we had with the Libs.

I fully expect the NDGreen to listen to the enviros opposed to the funding model, who supported them in the election, and the separate wildlife society won't happen. I also expect them to simply say, "Okay, wildlife gets $18 million a year (as it currently does from general revenue), so we'll make sure your $10 million in tag revenue makes up part of that $18 million."

The NDP, being run by the public sector unions like the BCGEU, would be under tremendous pressure not to contract out any wildlife management to a separate group.[/QUOTE]

Even under the Liberal Gov't the flavour of the day was "contracting out".....(I am a public servant and yes I voted Liberal...) I agree with your statement but contracting out was going on before the NDP took power.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    Even under the Liberal Gov't the flavour of the day was "contracting out".....(I am a public servant and yes I voted Liberal...) I agree with your statement but contracting out was going on before the NDP took power.
    My point exactly. Libs are fine with contracting out and moving services out from inside government, NDP hates it.

The wildlife agency would be outside of government like Freshwater Fisheries, and thus I doubt the NDP has any intention of letting it happen.
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks

I thought all parties of government agreed to put all of our funding back into wildlife?? And I thought out of the $14 million revenue generated by hunting tags and licences last year for example, only $2 million went back into wildlife?

So sounds like things are up in the air again and possibly looking less bright

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I thought all parties of government agreed to put all of our funding back into wildlife?? And I thought out of the $14 million revenue generated by hunting tags and licences last year for example, only $2 million went back into wildlife?
    Funding for the ministry is about $18 million annually from general revenue.

The $2 million from tags goes to HCTF. The rest goes to general revenue.

The funding model adopted by the Liberals would see the $18 million continue to the ministry from general revenue, and the other $10 million or so of tag revenue go to the wildlife agency.

Net gain to wildlife: $10 million.

The only party to commit to the wildlife agency was the Liberals, the rest just said tag revenue should fund wildlife...which it kind of already does. There was no commitment by the NDGreens to increase funding by $10 million.
    Last edited by Fisher-Dude; 08-05-2017 at 09:26 PM.