Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets all create more wildlife together as a team

Re: Lets all create more wildlife together as a team

Quote Originally Posted by hawk-i View Post
    If you want more deer moose and elk, start by reducing the bears and wolves.
    Totally agree...I doubt the new government would support a wolf cull with the greens in there, but I sure hope the BCWF can speak on our behalf and promote one with the new govt....

If any hunter wants to see a reduction in predators they can do there part even if it is small. We are all allowed our 2 black bear a year( also good meat if dealt with correctly) and we can all attempt with wolves and coyote. The canines may not be easy targets but if you don't put in the effort and time to learn you will never see success. Yes wolves are a higher impact predator but most seem to forget the little coyote is no slouch expecially with fawns

I have said it in the past there is a free to the public predator control that is not utilized to full potential. Trappers can be very effective and can make larger impact than hunter because there methods work 24/7 and cover more ground. 2 things that can make this group more effective. 1 get the traplines active there is regulations in place for this but little enforcement ( yes the odd inactive line is being auctioned) still lost of lines not being trapped. 2 this might piss off some trappers but add a small quota of wolves to be trapped on traplines with healthy wolf numbers. Ontario does this with beaver and it is part of keeping a trapline. Lots of trappers(not all) don't target wolves because of effort vs value.

Do to general public it is tough to get support for predator management and I think might be tougher with our new govt. So why not at least focuse on where we could at least get some kind of impact for starters without needing majore funding or support from the general public

Start with a small impact at least well hunters push for the tougher to accomplish govt cull

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I agree..we already don't have enough CO's, definitely not enough to enforce access restrictions...start deactivating roads, and yes getting logging companies to do it would make sense..
    We need to address the road deactivation problem with the forest service. Every road that is built for timber harvest has to have a permit to build. As part of the permitting process, the mandatory deactivation of harvest spur roads should be included. Put the cost directly on the company that is benefiting up front so they can work it into their harvest plan.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    They don't have to deactivate the forest service roads they just have to ban vehicle access, which is fine for the guides as they will have horses and planes to fly in the clients. Way less competition from resident hunters that way. Maybe if all game is put on LEH the harvests could be tightly controlled, harvest reporting could be online too. Some resident hunters would get NIL on everything, but what the heck, it's just less competition for guided hunters. Maybe the first step should be to have no guided hunts for animals that have to be under LEH because there is a heavy resident demand?? Limit the FN harvest? Well just give each family all the free AAA beef they want for free, but then everyone would complain about that so it might not work so well.
    Road access closures should include ALL forms of transportation including bikes and horses. A road closure should mean you can access only with your own two feet and a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    We need to address the road deactivation problem with the forest service. Every road that is built for timber harvest has to have a permit to build. As part of the permitting process, the mandatory deactivation of harvest spur roads should be included. Put the cost directly on the company that is benefiting up front so they can work it into their harvest plan.
    I know at least with the outfit I was working for many of the roads had a time limit to be deactivated when it came to block roads

But deactivated roads are still atv accessible and this is for futur surveying, emergency, and at times the road is planned to be reopened to access blocks planned for the futur

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I know at least with the outfit I was working for many of the roads had a time limit to be deactivated when it came to block roads

But deactivated roads are still atv accessible and this is for futur surveying, emergency, and at times the road is planned to be reopened to access blocks planned for the futur
    I have deactivated many roads, If the plan calls for no ATV access, it can be done , it all depends on the level of deactivation called for.

Just going to chime in here , there are many outdoor enthusiasts including hunters that will fight this road deactivation program . I don't agree with it as it limits who can access the outback . I will be writing my MLA and MP to ask that my tax dollars stop being used to restrict my access to the outdoors/alpine. As far as the "new" agency , I would expect that it would detract from any $ being spent on wildlife as it will cost $$ many millions just to set up etc.
    As has been said before on other threads , there isn't a "Team"

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    I have deactivated many roads, If the plan calls for no ATV access, it can be done , it all depends on the level of deactivation called for.
    I don't doubt I imagine there are many factors involved. I only know what was asked for by the 3 guys I know doing it local and the reasons they gave me

Agreed. Maybe gates would be a better solution.

Deactivated roads make it take longer for me to access first aid at work.

If any hunter wants to see a reduction in predators they can do there part even if it is small. We are all allowed our 2 black bear a year( also good meat if dealt with correctly) and we can all attempt with wolves and coyote. The canines may not be easy targets but if you don't put in the effort and time to learn you will never see success. Yes wolves are a higher impact predator but most seem to forget the little coyote is no slouch expecially with fawns

I have said it in the past there is a free to the public predator control that is not utilized to full potential. Trappers can be very effective and can make larger impact than hunter because there methods work 24/7 and cover more ground. 2 things that can make this group more effective. 1 get the traplines active there is regulations in place for this but little enforcement ( yes the odd inactive line is being auctioned) still lost of lines not being trapped. 2 this might piss off some trappers but add a small quota of wolves to be trapped on traplines with healthy wolf numbers. Ontario does this with beaver and it is part of keeping a trapline. Lots of trappers(not all) don't target wolves because of effort vs value.

Do to general public it is tough to get support for predator management and I think might be tougher with our new govt. So why not at least focuse on where we could at least get some kind of impact for starters without needing majore funding or support from the general public

Start with a small impact at least well hunters push for the tougher to accomplish govt cull
    Amen......I've taken my share of black bears but as you said, wolf and coyote are extremely hard to get...but will keep trying..