Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revisiting the Alaska hwy!

Revisiting the Alaska hwy!

Its been 30years since i was north of Dawson..
    Used to go every year growing up till i was 13.
    Been plannimg to go the last 2 yrs with my family of 5 and going to bring my parents as well for a 3 generations trip.
    Looking forward to it, no plan or itinerary
    Just follow the road and see where we land along the way. Might hit the Yukon not sure yet.
    Have 21 days to do the trip should be interesting for the kids.
    Bringing along the toy hauler so will bring rifles and 1 quad(if no bans get put in place in the peace) incase we do a lil hunting along the way.
    Not the main goal, like it was growing up but a nice option. If any bulls are seen ill be hoping our 11yr old gets the shot��
    Leaving the 16th 1st night around Dawson then heading up to sikini chief area for few days then venture lil more north.
    Kids are getting excited..
    Good ole times
    I know its changed massively in 30years but should be a good trip.
    Any good spots to camp or hike fish etc along the way were open to ideas? Will prob bring the aluminum as well. Lol
    All but the kitchen sink so parents are comfy and tine is enjoyed��

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Revisiting the Alaska hwy!

Hot springs are a must, most dug out water holes along the road towards profit river are stocked and good for a little fish. Toad river is a nice spot, try the cinnamon buns. Many river side pull outs as well.

Sounds like a great adventure with a few generations along!! Have a great time
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Fish any pool along the toad with a spinner or minnow pattern for grayling. Muncho has huge trout and great scenery.. learn the maps to undersrand where and what you can hunt..

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Fish any pool along the toad with a spinner or minnow pattern for grayling. Muncho has huge trout and great scenery.. learn the maps to undersrand where and what you can hunt..
    Yes been mapping lately..know what i can hunt and area
    Looking forward to taking kids to catch grayling like i used to do when i was a kid.
    Heading out tomorrow for last 8 day stint at work then off we go.

It will be a great trip I'm sure! 21 days too!

Try and time it so you can stop in at Jack's place and feast on the best breakfast going....Double G Service at Muncho Lake.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

replied to PM, Like I said, if there is anything else shoot me a PM. Have fun, I'm jealous, your seeing some beautiful country! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    replied to PM, Like I said, if there is anything else shoot me a PM. Have fun, I'm jealous, your seeing some beautiful country! Moosin
    Sounds like a place to visit..
    I remember going to Mays kitchen for a treat dinner an fresh baked bread when we hit town lol so to speak

You're in for an awesome time. I'm envious.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I've thoroughly enjoyed travelling that hwy many times, including the whole road by bicycle.
    The hwy is now a modern well maintained paved hwy, not the always winding gravel and mud
    road with many steep hills that it was the first few times. Were you not also hoping to get in some
    hunting, driving to Dawson City, and then crossing the river to drive the 'Top of the World Hwy'
    into Alaska is a great trip. Driving the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik is another very scenic trip but
    needs special attention as there are very limited facilities except Eagle Plains.