Thread: Safari hunters

Safari hunters

For those who have been to South Africa on a safari hunt. Did you get all your taxidermy work done there or a pack and dip and get your taxidermist to do them back at home? What was your reasoning for your choice?
    Thank you

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Safari hunters

Done both Brandon. Some of the South African stuff was good. Some not so good.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

I have done it both ways. The South African stuff was acceptable but the mounts done here were definitely better quality.
    Importation and decontamination have been an issue for me recently.

I hunted Namibia 5 years ago and had my work done over there. Flat skins and Euro mounts were excellent and inexpensive to have done. A pedestal kudu mount was only fair (but good price -$750US). However the other fees got to be tedious. I don't know how many "vet inspection fees" I paid as well as other redundant costs. Recent reports on the AR forum seem to indicate that fee increases and gouging is rampant as it is so easy to hold your trophies hostage. So if you have work done make sure you have all your ducks in a row re: transfer fees, dip and pack, vet inspections, documentation fees, shipping and storage and custom clearance fees as some are finding these are approaching or exceeding taxidermy fees! The AR forum is a great place to get feed back on companies you are planning to use.

If I do another African hunt, I will not be bringing back any trophies. I will either have my hunt professionally videographed or make sure that I have high quality photos suitable for large canvas print blow ups.

I got the taxidermy done over there, the mounts were very well done and have held up really well and they're about 12 years old now. The shipping and fees were high but in the end I think it was a little cheaper than shipping the horns and skins and having the work done here. One thing to consider too is that not every taxidermist over here will know how these animals should look.
    If I went again I'd only bring back something if it was exceptional.

Been to Africa 3 times,,Im going again. All my work done locally,,I like to support the local economy,,and if there is a problem, you have some control.

Thanks guys really appreciate your replies!

There is currently an excellent thread on the African Forum of the Accurate Reloading site - "After The Hunt".