Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Off-roading banned

Re: Off-roading banned

Good logical post Salty. Well said.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Ya that example stinks a little but in the big picture it makes sense to me. We need as few people as possible in the back country until this weather breaks. To get there limiting recreation is not a big deal to society but stopping commerce and people's livelihood is a big deal. So you strike a balance. I'm sure if we got to a firestorm apocalypse complete with zombies you'd shut commerce down too.
    We are not taking any bookings for high country eco tours as a result of the extreme fire rating. Sometimes it is not right to do something just because you are legally allowed too. Due Diligence for our company dictates that the risks far outweigh the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by btridge View Post
    We are not taking any bookings for high country eco tours as a result of the extreme fire rating. Sometimes it is not right to do something just because you are legally allowed too. Due Diligence for our company dictates that the risks far outweigh the benefits.
    This is a very admirable stance, good on you.

I like the way you think btridge good call. Similarly we had a boat camping trip planned for the better part of a year Arrow lakes way I'd be there now but we cancelled. Even though there's no fires in the area its just too crazy dry in the woods there. Anywhere in the south half of bc right now is not worth messing with IMO.
    Last edited by Salty; 08-12-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Risking millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of dollars in timber and private property so small business can make a few bucks is very short sighted in my mind. Adding in the fact that those who can afford to pay to play get access, while others do not, does not sit well with me. The likelihood of a client starting a forest fire is just as high as a regular, lowly resident.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whonnock Boy View Post
    Risking millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions of dollars in timber and private property so small business can make a few bucks is very short sighted in my mind. Adding in the fact that those who can afford to pay to play get access, while others do not, does not sit well with me. The likelihood of a client starting a forest fire is just as high as a regular, lowly resident.
    I respectully disagree. The level of accountability with a business is considerably higher. You have to appreciate that not all of us BC residents have the same of of respect/acccountabilty as a BC business....From a risk management perspective the "likelihood" is much different however the consequence is the same.

Business can choose to mitigate the risk in several ways. The best way is to not go. Others include not taking customers that smoke, packing extra water, fire extinguishers etc thereby reducing the likelihood. Gov't takes it a step further to reduce the risk by closing the backcountry to reduce the "oh ****" factor...
    Sorry to say but all of us non-commercial users are lumped into the same category. It could be worse....Cheers
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Avalanche123; 08-12-2017 at 06:03 PM.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

Your position is understandable, but even the most cautious people make mistakes, or simply, $hit just happens. Are they willing, or more importantly, able to pay for simple bad luck or circumstance? Very doubtful. It's simple not worth the risk in my opinion. Cheers...
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche123 View Post
    I respectully disagree. The level of accountability with a business is considerably higher. You have to appreciate that not all of us BC residents have the same of of respect/acccountabilty as a BC business....From a risk management perspective the "likelihood" is much different however the consequence is the same.

Business can choose to mitigate the risk in several ways. The best way is to not go. Others include not taking customers that smoke, packing extra water, fire extinguishers etc thereby reducing the likelihood. Gov't takes it a step further to reduce the risk by closing the backcountry to reduce the "oh ****" factor...
    Sorry to say but all of us non-commercial users are lumped into the same category. It could be worse....Cheers
    Cheers.
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Anyone notice the number of person caused fires going down since the ORV restrictions?

Do the guides take the horseshoes off the horses to prevent sparks from igniting a fire? I doubt it.

Was going to do some scouting in 3-42 this weekend... seems like I should leave the quad at home... and no marshmellows or weenies...