Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting 4-14 Frustrated!

Hunting 4-14 Frustrated!

Have gone hunting there for 5 years so far and always go with same 3 friends during bow season , always went there to hunt elk, I always come back only with a deer, just curious does anyone ever get elk out of this area ,or even see them, I know every inch of this area and have not seen them, old tracks only but few and far between.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting 4-14 Frustrated!

"Only" with a deer? Archery at that! No need to be frustrated lol

Wentrot , I do not mean that I get frustrate with deer , I have deer in my yard, I would just like to know if anybody hunts there and sees or has got an elk?

Sounds like more scouting and a camp move may be required..

Walks with deer,

Been there done that, one must realize this is a very small area, have scouted it all and ended up in 8-13, where there is no hunting for elk. I can cover the whole area on my quad in 8 hrs, what is why I am asking.

I went through the same thing where Ive been hunting for 5 seasons or so, finally connected last year, now its been burnt to a crisp, now that's frustrating! I had the same thing though, tracks and sign everywhere but I was usually too early or too late, for where I go it seems to be a matter of timing the migration, I saw more bucks in one day last year than Ive see in a week of hard hunting up there.

The elk are there. Maybe its your tactics. There is probably some information to share. You mention you use a quad. There are a lot of factors that go into a sucessful hunt. Is the quad just how you get around to your hunting areas? Or is it your method of hunting? What elevation are you hunting at? North face? South face? Are you focused on big timber? Cut blocks? What time of day are you starting out? I mean what time is it you feel your hunt is starting? Are you looking at the vegetation? And in what type of vegetation are you focused? What about calling? What appraoch/theories are you working with?

Bulls will be back to limited entry next year from what I've heard so you have one year left and then you won't have to worry about it.

Very few Elk in 4-14. If you were to find any I would look where Deadeye FSR enters 4-14 from 8-15
    A lot of better spots to hunt Elk within an hour than 4-14
    I just heard that Elk are doing fine in the West Kootenays and no changes are planned...I guess we will see what happens

no idea on where the elk are there but maybe take a long hard look at your tactics.... my dad swears pink Gooey bobs are the only gear for steelhead.... his buddy fishes exclusively spnin'n glows
    they both catch fish and they both swear they are the only gear! just some days back drifting a spin'n glow is what they want..... So if you pigeon hole yourself in one tactic you might miss the fish....

have a look at what you do and switch it up...