Thread: Opening day of archery season

Opening day of archery season

This will be my first season of bow hunting ( deer region 3 and 5).
    What's the best way to approach looking for early season deer and what hunting styles work the best. I'm assuming it will be very dry so the bush will be very noisy. Is this early hunt mostly an ambush type situation?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Opening day of archery season

Lots of options really and each location varies and skill levels plays a roll

sitting in ambush works great if you have the right spot

Spot/stalk works but spot and ambush is better. Try and cut them off and let them come to you

Stillhunting if location allows really really slow if it's noisy

For me I hunt as much of the daylight hours I can. First 2 options I use early morning late evening. Mid day I will still hunt bedding areas. Don't do this in the same areas. Still hunting bedded deer in an area makes them spooky

Just my way but you will hear other opinions

for whitetail, we game cam through the summer to establish how many does are in an area & the movement patterns they use. we don't worry about buck traffic as it will pick up once the rut approaches. if the trail/lick/water hole is seeing good doe traffic we set treestands about now then stay away until the season starts. late archery is the best though - lots of movement of both bucks & does. nothing like freezing your butt off while waiting to see what is making that approaching crunch crunch!

My partner and I have cams out and are seeing lots of bucks in our area everytime we have scouted it.. With how damn hot and dry its been though spot and stalk is gonna be next to impossible so going to get in to the hot spots before first light and see if we cant get one coming to us..

Has one seen much activity or had any luck yet? I've been out for the better part of the last two days. Been within range of does. Haven't seen a buck up close yet. Checked my cams last night, lots of bears, in fact over 350 pics of a sow and cubs rolling in reminents of some deer apple scented attractant. Nice 2 point on a few of the cams.

I have only seen a couple of deer the last two mornings and one decent two-point that wasn't in a position for a stalk. I gave it a rest this morning but will try again tomorrow morning probably in a new spot. I did see about eight grouse and a cougar to keep things interesting.