Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Hi all,

We are moving to a house with a big yard and my family and I would love to get a dog. I grew up with a German Shorthaired Pointer, and my wife with a Lab, both of which were awesome dogs. We are leaning towards a Rhodesian Ridgeback, so curious on what this breed is like as a family dog (not looking for a hunting dog)? We are looking for a larger dog with short hair. I have done a fair bit of reading on the breed, but also looking for personal feedback.

I have young kids (7 and 4) and I largely work from home. My kids love dogs and are now old enough that the dog will get enough exercise and attention (I also dont expect that my kids will help in an way, despite their promises that they will . My wife is home most of the time too, so we are not going to be in a situation where the dog is left all day by itself. We are an active family and want a dog that we can enjoy the outdoors with. My wife runs, so a dog that can she can run with would be great too. One thing I loved about the GSP was that he was also a great guard dog, and this is important to my wife if I am away for work travel etc.

Any feedback would be great on the breed, and breeder recommendations too.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ajr5406; 08-01-2017 at 08:57 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rhodesian Ridgeback?

My wife's cousin and her husband have always had Ridgebacks.
    Two things I have noted:
    1: Their lifespan seems to be shorter than other breeds
    2: They seem to shed a lot

They seem to be very friendly and there are several off shoots of the original Rhodesian Ridgebacks.

Have friends in Liberia that keep 2 on the farm for security. Sometimes the dogs eat a few chickens, but he says that's a small price to pay.

Hope you like to run because they do, my buddy and his wife breed them and show them. Seem like nice dogs but need room that's for sure

Very loyal dogs, very strong willed, need to be there told 100's of times. Very loud bark, like a giant hound. Very big wimps in the cold and wet. Shed alot.
    My kids like theirs, the wife mostly does, me meh.

Keep your wife happy and get a dog that doesn't shed ...... you'll be able to wear black clothing without looking like a dog blanket.
    Generally, a pup that has been taken from the litter a little early is 'people' socialized. A pup that has stayed in the litter a little longer is usually better with other dogs.
    Standard Schnauzer will be my next ...... loyal and smart.
    The Standard Poodle is a great multi-purpose dog also .....
    Lots of choices.

Ridgebacks are awesome dogs - loyal and great with the family..
    I have walked in the footstep's of elephants, heard lions roar and met the Cape buffalo on his own turf - I'm blessed to be born African - And proud to be a Canadian!

Have one, she's 9 and starting to show her age. Great dog after we got past the stubborn puppy years (She ate all my tulip bulbs out of the back yard one spring. ) Shedding can be an issue in the early summer when it gets hot. She doesn't like water ever. Snow she is okay with, till she gets cold, which doesn't take very long unless I'm running her. Very loyal and protective dog, reads people like a hawk. Watch out with your kids' friends, if they are nervous around dogs they can be aggressive. Ours has nipped a couple times, never too seriously but we still have to watch out. Our kids grew up with her and she will protect then at all cost. Good luck.
    oh, and she's a sight hound so loves chasing bunnies when we go for walks near our house.
    Last edited by dmaxtech; 08-02-2017 at 11:10 PM.

I had two of them in the past and in a week we are getting the third one. Excellent dogs. Life span is average for a large breed, about 10-12, The bigger the dog the shorter the lifespan.Great Danes and Irish Wolfhounds lives to only about six. Rhodesians shed to about half what Labradors do- the real shedding machines. Ridgebacks are aloof with strangers but absolutely dedicated to their family, and they bark only when absolutely necessary. They wake up and night and walk perimeter of the house few times in a night time to make sure that all is OK. A lot depends on upbringing and ours absolutely loved all the creatures included kittens and bunnies. My last one possessed ability to dissolve conflicts between aggressive dogs, he knew his power but was not dominant at all. He disliked water but always waded behind me when needed, while steelheading. Great dogs.

I used to have one. I got her when she was about a year old. She came with some issues. We rehomed her when we had a baby because we didn't have the time to spend with her that she needed. My wife was very careful who she sold the dog to, matching the dog to the new owner.

Doing it all over again I would choose more carefully when getting a ridgeback, instead of buying the first one that popped up on Kijiji.