Thread: Disasterous effects on wildlife

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Disasterous effects on wildlife

In the aftermath of some of the larger fires in years past, many burned bodies of animals,
    both domestic and wild were found. With that in mind, I can't see it being any less of an
    impact, probably a lot worse this year, especially considering just how fast some of these
    current fires traveled....and they say the worst hasn't happened yet. Goggling the expansive
    areas already burnt is heartbreaking, not only when considering how many people have been
    effected and/or lost everything they've worked so hard for, but in the loss of animals and birds.
    I would think the grouse chicks will have been all but wiped out in the fire's path as they aren't
    yet old enough to fly. Same with a lot of the local small birds and mammals that can't travel fast.
    As someone that only takes a few grouse from a covey, hopefully leaving some for breeding,
    I personally won't be shooting the odd straggler this year if I'm in the large fire aftermath.
    Hopefully many others will think of the future and do the same.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Disasterous effects on wildlife

after 03 fire the blue grouse pops were crazy...like seeing 70 birds in a morning.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Yes I think it might be a net benifit it the medium to long term for many species. A low intensity ground fire is certainly preferable but many species do well in a recovering burn.

part of what damaged the bird populations on the island was when they stopped slash burns..... I think the created habitat will have a benefit.... but it has cost a lot.

"Nature abhors a vacuum"
    It won't take long to grow back, though maybe in some altered state.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Burns improve habitat! Unless a wild fire is near a populated site it's best to just let them burn themselves out,,,improves the hunting a whole lot what with all the new growth.

improves the hunting a whole lot what with all the new growth.
    Unless the fire destroys all the shelter growth which offers protection.
    Wildfires alter habitat. What grows back and how it is utilized is changed, for good and for bad. What is a benefit for one species spells disaster for others.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole