Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: quail in Abbotsford?

Re: quail in Abbotsford?

Those appear to be Bobwhite Quail.
    doesnt matter what kind of bullet it is, as long as it weighs 180 grains its DEADLY, even on ass shots....Todbartell-2009

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    I think so too.
    Get it on the ground, that's when the work starts

Nice capture, look like Quail to me.
    “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your character is what you really are while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by hoochie View Post
    in the back yard....

http://imgur.com/K9ZJcwB

Those are bob white quail

I know they're on the south island and I've seen them in Vernon but whether its normal for them in the fraser valley I do not know. Cool pic hoochie thanks for sharin
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

There have been quail in the Fraser Valley off and on since I was a kid in the fifties.
    Our neighbor raised them for gun clubs in the Fraser estuary, along with pheasants.
    He was also the fellow that is in the books as introducing chucker partridge to the
    Interior as part of a government program.

Those are Bobwhite.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

That is my thought as well. Looks like there was an introduction into BC and in the states of WA, OR, ID

http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity...rds.html#Birds

"
    Bob-white Quail (Colinus virginianus (L.))According to the Game Department records, Bob-white Quail were first introduced to British Columbia by the BC Forest and Stream Club in 1899 and planted at various points on the Lower Mainland. One hundred and fifty-six birds were released. One hundred and thirty were released near Ashcroft in 1900, thirty-two near Shuswap in 1905, and thirty-five at the Coldstream Ranch near Vernon in 1907. In 1922, additional birds were released on Vancouver Island. The species is said to have been present on South Pender Island in 1886, when the first settlers arrived, but there is no record of this early introduction.
    Present status of Bob-white in British Columbia: Said to have done well for a period of years in the southern interior, but the latest authentic record for that area is listed as January 1912, by Munro and Cowan (1947). Several flocks survived near Huntingdon on the US boundary, but were exterminated in the severe winter of 1947-48. There are no recent reports from Vancouver or Pender Island. It appears that Bob-white introductions to the province were unsuccessful."

Click on the range map on this page.
    http://tnwatchablewildlife.org/detai...ern%20bobwhite

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post

That is my thought as well. Looks like there was an introduction into BC and in the states of WA, OR, ID

http://ibis.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity...rds.html#Birds

"
    Bob-white Quail (Colinus virginianus (L.))According to the Game Department records, Bob-white Quail were first introduced to British Columbia by the BC Forest and Stream Club in 1899 and planted at various points on the Lower Mainland. One hundred and fifty-six birds were released. One hundred and thirty were released near Ashcroft in 1900, thirty-two near Shuswap in 1905, and thirty-five at the Coldstream Ranch near Vernon in 1907. In 1922, additional birds were released on Vancouver Island. The species is said to have been present on South Pender Island in 1886, when the first settlers arrived, but there is no record of this early introduction.
    Present status of Bob-white in British Columbia: Said to have done well for a period of years in the southern interior, but the latest authentic record for that area is listed as January 1912, by Munro and Cowan (1947). Several flocks survived near Huntingdon on the US boundary, but were exterminated in the severe winter of 1947-48. There are no recent reports from Vancouver or Pender Island. It appears that Bob-white introductions to the province were unsuccessful."

Click on the range map on this page.
    http://tnwatchablewildlife.org/detai...ern%20bobwhite

very interesting lived in Abbotsford and inlaws were in the Huntington areas for many years. Never heard any past or present sightings of quail so assumed only possibility was escaped birds.

The above info makes me wonder if they have just gone unnoticed or unreported in small numbers

escaped or released, should be Sched C
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole