Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any bow hunters/archers looking to pass on some knowledge?

Any bow hunters/archers looking to pass on some knowledge?

Hey,
    I'd like to get into archery but I haven't shot a bow in over 20 years since I was in Scouts. My level of knowledge is that I know what they look like.

Anyone in the Mission area looking for a student that you might let shoot your compound bow a time or two to see if I like it? Maybe give me a few pointers on technique, what kind of money I need to spend to get set up reasonably well etc?

I'm a member of Mission Rod and gun, so we could shoot there or?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Any bow hunters/archers looking to pass on some knowledge?

Hey KBC , Ridgedale 3-D Aug 11 , 12 and 13th . Lots to look at and advice .
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Thanks I will keep it in mind. Anyone else out there?

Go see Wayne at Big Game Archery.

He could measure your draw length and set you up with your own bow.

Get him to go over your anchor and release.

I am the last finger shooter with a compound.

I go to some shoots and hunt with a bow.

I could try to give you some help.

Sheldon

Well I spent a bunch of money at big game archery. Wayne said my bow should be ready on Tuesday. Hopefully I don't suck too bad hahaha.

Focus on your form consistency is the key to be accurate with a bow. Don't worry about pushing how far you can shoot and work on tight 20yard groups for starters. Pick a small spot and don't hold at full draw too long.

Biggest one I see with new archers is looking for their arrow on release. Teach your self to hold your form till you hear the thunk of your arrow hitting the target. I tell everyone I have taught you are a statue once you release till that arrow makes contact

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Thanks I will keep it in mind. Anyone else out there?
    Dont take this the wrong way. But, Greybark offered to help you out. And you ask if there is anyone else out there. Yes, there are lots of others out there. But you'd be fortunate to have Grey take you under his wing. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge. He'll help you achieve your goals whatever they might be. And he'll make you feel comfortable in the community of archers out there. What you do with his gracious offer is up to you. Whether its be a better archer, become a hunter, or become a better person.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Dont take this the wrong way. But, Greybark offered to help you out. And you ask if there is anyone else out there. Yes, there are lots of others out there. But you'd be fortunate to have Grey take you under his wing. He has a wealth of experience and knowledge. He'll help you achieve your goals whatever they might be. And he'll make you feel comfortable in the community of archers out there. What you do with his gracious offer is up to you. Whether its be a better archer, become a hunter, or become a better person.
    I will second what JT said welcome to the dark side lol

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Sorry if I offended anyone but I guess I took that first offer the wrong way. I didn't realize he was offering to help me out, just that he thought I should show up and start bugging people. To be honest the idea of that is a little intimidating being a total noob without a clue.
    Once again I apologize if anyone was offended.

Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    Sorry if I offended anyone but I guess I took that first offer the wrong way. I didn't realize he was offering to help me out, just that he thought I should show up and start bugging people. To be honest the idea of that is a little intimidating being a total noob without a clue.
    Once again I apologize if anyone was offended.
    Thanks for the respectful reply. I can understand how you might have mis understood Greybarks offer. Those of us who know him know he doesnt just say, "show up". As I suggested, he will make you comfortable and feel welcome. I was just trying to guess how many people he has helped out. Cant come up with a number there have been so many. Ken is a good man.