Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August moose hunt?

August moose hunt?

We are heading up to 7-21 for an august moose hunt, does anyone else on here hunt the early any bull moose hunts? Our pull out day is August 12th and that gives us a couple days to set up a nice camp, get in some firewood [if the bans are off] and have a good look around before the opening on the 15th.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: August moose hunt?

Only keyboard hunters??

guarantee fire bans wont be off. I would not waste my time with an aug moose hunt but thats just me...i prefer cold nights and no bugs

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    guarantee fire bans wont be off. I would not waste my time with an aug moose hunt but thats just me...i prefer cold nights and no bugs
    So do we but the odds of getting a bull moose are way up there if you aren't forced to count points. One thing most hunters don't realize is that the meat from an august bull is prime and seems to have a higher moisture content, which makes for very nice meat. We go up to 7-21 but I think there might even be some openings closer to PG these days?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Only keyboard hunters??
    Lol, I wish I could but I live in Victoria. No moose. No early season.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

We are heading up to 7-21 for an august moose hunt, does anyone else on here hunt the early any bull moose hunts? Our pull out day is August 12th and that gives us a couple days to set up a nice camp, get in some firewood [if the bans are off] and have a good look around before the opening on the 15th.

Did that 6 years ago. Shot a moose on 15th at 9am, butchering was a disaster, mosquitos and flies were a nightmare, was very hot day. Had to place all the meat to plastic bins and into the creek in the shade. We waited till sundown, than hauled it back to Van for meat not to spoil. Wont be doing that again!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I may drive up for a couple days! It will have to be a gimme moose though, I don't like packing meat in the heat! Skin them and get em to a cooler, and hopefully your no allergic to wasp stings!! See ya up there, moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    guarantee fire bans wont be off.
    unlikely to be a fire ban in the Peace at that time.

Haven't hunted moose in August but dealt with plenty of bull elk in early Sept temps reaching 25c. Get them gutted and skinned ASAP, it's crucial to let the body heat escape as quickly as possible. Gutless method is best, cut down to the big leg bone / hip joint to let the heat out. Hang them in the shade as you pull them off. A portable cooler setup is a must have, or at least access to a cooler/meat locker within 24 hours.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

One thing most hunters don't realize is that the meat from an august bull is prime and seems to have a higher moisture content, which makes for very nice meat.
    If you can make it home without the meat spoiling.