Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future hunting partner and family member

Re: Future hunting partner and family member

We almost got a girl from that litter. But wound up with a boy from Nelsen. We had to put Chase down last august.
    He left a hole that needed filling. Dad owns one of her dogs and i really liked Pipers temperment. So allong came Timber

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Any training system, properly applied in conjunction with proper socialization should produce a well rounded family oriented/hunting dog.........the key here is balance and being fair to the dog during training.

The dogs you see that are more robotic and not really enjoying themselves, are probably poorly trained by someone who doesn't know how........and this includes many so-called professional trainers.

The training methods most used by knowlegable Retriever people are: Mike Lardy, Bill Hillman, Evan Graham, and a few others. They are fairly similar and will produce a well trained, happy Retriever if properly followed.

As far as "breeders" are concerned, there are not very many I would purchase a dog from because of the emphasis on profit at the expense of ethics. In addition, some breeders charge premium prices for mediocre breeding.

When the time comes I can provide knowlegable feedback as I have no horse in race.

At the bare minimum, insure that any dog you purchase comes from lines where both parents have been tested for:

-OFA Certification of hips and elbows with a minimum of a good or better rating on both parents.
    -CERF....this test rules out certain genetic eye diseases
    -EIC (exercise induced collapse)......a horrible affliction brought about by poor breeding practices......look it up.
    -CNM ( Centronucular Myopathy).....similar to mad cow disease........again....look it up.

In addition to the above, insure that there is no history of Cruciate ligament tears in either parent as this is thought to have a genetic component to it.

Ive had both Males and Females and talent wise, there isn't a lot of difference. Females (much as I hate to admit it)
    tend to be smarter and easier to train but can be a bit "soft" when compared to males.....not always.

I prefer males because they don't come into heat at inconvenient times.....

The above barely scratches the surface of the things I would look for but will give you a starting point. Good luck and if you need specific advice PM me.
    What Lab Guy said.... except you should really get a toller!!!

Hey Lab Guy, FWIW my just turned 3 year old toller completed her MH title last month!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post

FWIW my just turned 3 year old toller completed her MH title last month!!
    👍Its worth a lot......Not many reach that level...... especially so young.

Congratulations!!!
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Its worth a lot......Not many reach that level...... especially so young.

Congratulations!!!
    Thank you Brian.

There are only 16 CKC MH tollers. Kimber is one of those. She is only the 5th MH bitch.

Linda

So I've decided that I'll order the Bill Hillmann Training a Retriever Puppy DVD. When it comes to a follow on program allot of people seem to recommend going to Lardy's Total Retriever Training or Smartworks.

My question is, are there not Hillmann dvds that work as a follow on to his puppy training that would work for a new trainer? And please excuse my ignorance, but is this where Hillmans training parts ways with others (Force Fetch) etc.

And whichever route I go with FF and or e-collar, I intend on soliciting help to get me off on the right foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post

Cedarbrae
    You won't be sorry, Tracy has some really nice dogs.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    So I've decided that I'll order the Bill Hillmann Training a Retriever Puppy DVD. When it comes to a follow on program allot of people seem to recommend going to Lardy's Total Retriever Training or Smartworks.

My question is, are there not Hillmann dvds that work as a follow on to his puppy training that would work for a new trainer? And please excuse my ignorance, but is this where Hillmans training parts ways with others (Force Fetch) etc.

And whichever route I go with FF and or e-collar, I intend on soliciting help to get me off on the right foot.
    Ask Tracy her opinion on this topic. Shes had very good success. Lots of knowlegable Amatuer Retriever trainers on the island and some......not so much. Vancouver Island Retriever Club is a good place to start looking for a mentor.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

guest Guest

Ron, although old, there is a great book called Waterdog that is terrific in training. You end up with the best if both worlds, a great hunting dog, and the best hunting partner any one could ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    What Lab Guy said.... except you should really get a GOLDEN!!!

Hey Lab Guy, FWIW my just turned 3 year old toller completed her MH title last month!!
    There, fixed it for you Linda. Congrats on the MH title
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

As my wife and I breed dogs, We have had times where people wanted to be on wait lists and by the time a puppy they asked for is born, They either found a new friend in the meantime or don't return calls. Total BS with wait lists. We just stopped accepting people on wait list unless they choose to put down a deposit. Just FYI.