Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-resident allocation too high

Non-resident allocation too high

In the Skeena FLNRO staff is gearing up to further restrict resident moose hunters, claiming that they are at or slightly exceeding their allocated harvest in some areas of Skeena. The data the Ministry is using to determine this harvest is crude and questionable at best, being open to manipulation and bias.
    Due to these proposed restrictions FLNRO also plans to add a host of hindering barriers again exclusively on resident hunters in Skeena North.Their argument is that by reducing opportunity in the south they feel there will be increased pressure in the north.
    At the heart of the issue is that non-residents have been allocated 25% of the moose allocation in the Skeena, and way too high for this meat and potato species that are of high utilization and demand by residents.
    Ministry staff have been advised that this is not a conservation concern, nor a harvest issue on the resident side, but 100% an allocation issue whereby the non-resident share has been set way too high, and in need of correction first and foremost.
    This allocation issue (adjustment) was brought up through stakeholder consultation, but Ministry staff refused to allow that discussion to occur. The only conversation they want to have is the addition of restrictions on resident moose hunters in the Skeena.
    Long and short as residents we should absolutely not accept any increased restriction hindering our harvest opportunities, tradition,culture, and access to hunt for food, all while non-residents and the GO’s that cater to them remain unaffected. Before any increased restrictions are considered on residents, the non-resident allocation must go to 10%. If after that there’s still a resident harvest concern, then and only then should further restriction(s)be considered on residents through proper consultation.
    Last edited by lange1212; 07-26-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: grammer

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Non-resident allocation too high

Horgan and Weaver said they supported BC's resident hunters in the last allocation battle.
    Where are they now??
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Great question!

Every resident hunting family should be writing and or emailing Horgan, Weaver, and Donaldson, asking for an answer to it.

Slow down there Lange, you better see what FD has to say, after all he was front and center in the allocation dispute and got some concessions after all! According to him," it's time to move forward"! K

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Horgan and Weaver said they supported BC's resident hunters in the last allocation battle.
    Where are they now??
    The new government was sworn in 9 days ago.

Write the government, write the Environment Minister. Mount a campaign. Get active.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Where are they now??
    Bending each other over a barrel

This is strictly my opinion and observation as a resident of southern region 6.

Personally I do not see the issue being resident or non resident regulated harvest. At least in my corner of the region myself and many others have noticed a huge change in moose numbers.

Regulated harvest is restricted to bulls only yet where have all the cows gone?

This is well beyond an allocation issue in my opinion. Why waste effort on complaining about who has the larger % of bull harvest when that is having little impact on the big picture?

I know local resident hunters have actually complained about the GOS wanting it shutdown. The common compliant I here is all the out of towners coming to kill moose. The evil lower mainlanders who just take lol. But yet I hear over and over success rates and sightings are way down by everyone not just locals. Yet many locals scream they want it LEH only to keep the out of towners from killing all the moose. I think many forget there is no priority for locals in BCs LEH system lol

All this pissing match between locals, out of towners, and GO's pointing fingers who is taking more bulls is a waste of time.

You want opertunity don't look at the regulated harvest its low impact. Look at what is impacting overall population. Its a lack of overall moose numbers not just Bulls.

Maybe rather than putting in efforts fighting those involved in the regulated harvest of bulls focuse on the issues effecting overall moose numbers. Predation, unregulated harvest, and habitat issues is what is truly a problem.

changing the % of the allocation or going straight LEH vs GOS solves nothing. These battles are an epic waste of time.

Again I ask where are the cow moose ? It's not regulated harvest impacting them

This is my opinion and observations from my corner of 6

I listen to the locals all complain and heard all the finger pointing. Getting to the point I want to just yell at people WAKE THE HELL UP.

There is my rant from this pissed off region 6 hunter

Letters sent and i disagree with the above post i will never accept a 25% non resident allocation as the new normal even if there is a moose behind every tree.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    This is strictly my opinion and observation as a resident of southern region 6.

Personally I do not see the issue being resident or non resident regulated harvest. At least in my corner of the region myself and many others have noticed a huge change in moose numbers.

Regulated harvest is restricted to bulls only yet where have all the cows gone?

This is well beyond an allocation issue in my opinion. Why waste effort on complaining about who has the larger % of bull harvest when that is having little impact on the big picture?

I know local resident hunters have actually complained about the GOS wanting it shutdown. The common compliant I here is all the out of towners coming to kill moose. The evil lower mainlanders who just take lol. But yet I hear over and over success rates and sightings are way down by everyone not just locals. Yet many locals scream they want it LEH only to keep the out of towners from killing all the moose. I think many forget there is no priority for locals in BCs LEH system lol

All this pissing match between locals, out of towners, and GO's pointing fingers who is taking more bulls is a waste of time.

You want opertunity don't look at the regulated harvest its low impact. Look at what is impacting overall population. Its a lack of overall moose numbers not just Bulls.

Maybe rather than putting in efforts fighting those involved in the regulated harvest of bulls focuse on the issues effecting overall moose numbers. Predation, unregulated harvest, and habitat issues is what is truly a problem.

changing the % of the allocation or going straight LEH vs GOS solves nothing. These battles are an epic waste of time.

Again I ask where are the cow moose ? It's not regulated harvest impacting them

This is my opinion and observations from my corner of 6

I listen to the locals all complain and heard all the finger pointing. Getting to the point I want to just yell at people WAKE THE HELL UP.

There is my rant from this pissed off region 6 hunter
    Surprising they don't understand that a GOS actually favours local hunters. A LEH favours nobody but simple math will tell you that the area that has the most hunters applying for the LEH will get the most draws. So 1000 lower mainlanders and 100 locals apply for 10 tags, 9 tags will go to the lower mainlanders and 1 to locals.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Letters sent and i disagree with the above post i will never accept a 25% non resident allocation as the new normal even if there is a moose behind every tree.

Dont support 25% either

putting forth effort to fight over scraps when there is way bigger issues is my problem. Like I said I hear all the complaining about numbers being way down but people would rather complian about who hunts or how the bull harvest is managed.

I personally have chose not to even hunt these moose but that is a personal call I don't expect others to follow.

As long as the hunting community keeps complaining about % and ignoring bigger issues nothing improves wildlife looses. In the end what does % of harvest when populations are lower than they should be

but what do I know

And BC resident hunters wonder why things are a mess