Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water purification

Water purification

Most of my hunts are day trips where I can fill my needs daily from bottled water. Have done a few mtn hunts in the past and just drank the water from the mountain creeks, with no issues. Had a lifestraw but it always got packed more than it got used

Picked up a Sawyer Mini water filter and really like it. Weighs only 2 oz with a 16oz bag. You fill the bag with water and screw on the Sawyer, can drink it like a straw or squeeze it into a bottle or bladder. Also picked up the accessory that allows you to fill your water bladder direct via the tube. And a couple spare 64oz water bags. They remind me of a empty mtn house bag, with a threaded cap on the end. Very light and compact when empty. Cost me $65 all together

What are you guys using in the back country?
    Last edited by todbartell; 07-25-2017 at 02:46 PM.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Water purification

If it works for you, great. Little puddles and piss trickle creeks you find on or near mountain tops make it mighty hard to fill a gravity feed filter system. Nothing beats a pump for me. If I was going to be on a lake or substantial creek the whole time it would be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    If it works for you, great. Little puddles and piss trickle creeks you find on or near mountain tops make it mighty hard to fill a gravity feed filter system. Nothing beats a pump for me. If I was going to be on a lake or substantial creek the whole time it would be a different story.
    Yup, being able to get water out of a 1cm deep depression in a rock is a lot easier with a pump.

That said, I used a sawyer filter like that in Utah on a backpack trip, and it worked really well. But there was water available to be dipped from a stream. Just have to be careful to not contaminate your outflow with untreated water dripping down the bag.

We usually take a steripen and pump between two guys and that has worked well for us. We use the steripen when the water is clean because it's a lot faster than the pump but when your forced to drink stagnant water from a deprssion in the ground nothing replaces the pump. I recently saw a MSR hand pump about half the size of a regular one that cost $50 and weighed next to nothing that I'll be looking at for this fall. With today's technology there's really no good reason to get sick from tainted water anymore. (I've drank my share of unfiltered water too)

I've carried a Lifestraw for years but haven't used it except for the first day I brought it home. The Sawyer system looks great.

For basecamp a few flats of Costco water is mandatory too.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Nice. I still use iodine tablets, as I have a large supply that will last me a long time. Innovation is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by Surrey Boy View Post
    Nice. I still use iodine tablets, as I have a large supply that will last me a long time. Innovation is great.
    I carry a jag of those as well, as they weigh next to nothing, and then you KNOW that your water is good. I carried a steripen for a few years as well, until one day after "treating" some water, my hunting partner noticed some reallllly small little critters still swimming merrily around. Zapped them again, and they were still having a disco party under the blue light.

Iodine tablet settled them down pretty nicely though.

Did you buy Local or order from the states, I've been looking for them and the only place I found that sells it in Canada is bass pro but they were all sold out, ive watched several videos and looks like a good option that's pretty cheap.

Got it on Amazon (Sawyer store) shipped from Richmond.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Does anyone know of a pump that doesn't screw onto a nalgene? I use a bladder, and I don't particularly want to fill a bottle, then pour it into the bladder, then refill the bottle, and carefully pour it into the bladder just to get 2L.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.