Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question - Online Core Examiner for Youngster

Re: Question - Online Core Examiner for Youngster

I know of one in Penticton who will do it if you are really stuck and willing to drive there.

Quote Originally Posted by thecoug View Post
    We've dealt with quite a few 10 yr olds.. as long as they are not shoved thru the door by a tag hungry dad, and it their idea, given their maturity they do very well. It speaks much of the parents when a youngster demonstrates great firearm safe handling... I am absolutely NOT a fan of the online program and state unequivocally that the majority of students that take that presentation do quite poorly compared to those that have taken a formal Core course.. There is much room for improvement of CORE program, particularly in ensuring that the actual instructors adhere to course/hunter applicable material and in particular teach students how to read the regulation synopsis...This has become a major problem with irresponsible instructors giving one day classes...Everyone truly caring about hunting and conservation suffers when the poorly taught head into the bush...
    I actually haven't seen much difference in test scores between those that do the full course and the online course. Most score fairly high anyway, as the test is not terribly difficult for people with average intelligence. Although regardless of the study method, many will struggle a bit with the bird questions.

We've always had people that challenge the course (myself included years back, there was no internet then of course) and how they score depends completely on how much study they put in personally. The online course is a much better tool than just self study and a challenge. And, depending on the class and instructor, the online course can also be a better learning experience than the 2 day course. Big fan of more options, and the online course is a great option for many.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If you aren't in a rush, the Bcwf people do CORE challenge tests at some of the outdoors shows for $35 if I remember right. Did ours in Abbotsford. I spent 6 months or so with each of my boys going through the book, talking, relating real stories, and watching YouTube videos of animals. Once a week is plenty, and they really absorb that way. They both scored over 95 on the test.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

I have been teaching the CORE course since 1976. I taught in the public school system for 35 years. I have taught ithe CORE course to thousands of students in a wide variety of settings. I have taught it as a segment of Environmental Education courses in schools from the grade 8 to 12 level, and in dedicated classes to students from age 10 to 80. Some courses have been a month long, and others as short as 2 days. It is my humble opinion that a 10 year old can pass both the written and practical exams if they attend a class in person, but they are most likely to fail both tests if they take the online course and then challenge the exam. I work with a group of 4 other instructors in Prince George who have similar eexperience with the program as my own, and we all feel the same way. When we teach courses, any parent or guardian who qualifies to hold a hunting license is welcome to attend our class with their child for no cost.
    I love to see young kids take up hunting as a sport. What I don't like to see is some pushy Dad looking for an extra tag drop off his kid expecting that child to pass a challenging set of exams with inadequate preparation. Kids are devastated if they fail, and that certainly doesn't encourage them to feel good about the sport. I do not offer 10 year olds the opportunity to challenge the exams.
    Looking at guns in a video does not prepare anyone to handle firearms competently. As an examiner I must consider the safety of all hunters. My signature certifies that I believe the student is capable in all circumstances of safely handling a firearm capable of killing an animal the size of a moose at a distance of over 500 yards. How would all of you feel if the department of motor vehicles gave out drivers licenses to 10 years olds after they had watched a few videos about how to drive a car? I could go on...and on.

I think the important thing to remember for youth CORE students that challenge the test- either after the online course or just a straight challenge- is that there will need to be lots of hands on mentoring by their father or uncle or mother etc. Especially with the gun handling part of the course, since they probably never attended a PAL course like most adults do prior to challenging the exam. Any kid without a solid firearms background is going to fail a challenge.

I've done courses with kids that are already shooting at the range with their dad but want to go hunting next, these kids usually are already quite familiar with the gun handling stuff unless they encounter a firearm action type they are not familiar with (maybe dad doesn't own any lever actions and they dont' know how to load one, but they understand to point it in a safe direction) and the rest comes naturally to them once the lever gun operation is explained.

Most adults that have come to me to challenge and/or test after the online course already have PAL's and have no issues with the practical. I actually tell them to go do their PAL first since if they want to hunt alone with a gun they need a PAL anyway. Which brings up another point- These days, I think the CORE course would be better if less time was spent on gun handling and more on the rest of it. The PAL firearms test is virtually the same as the CORE test. Other than going over what firearm is appropriate for what game, and more hunting specific use of firearms, there is little value in running the same PAL course in the CORE course. Better to spend time on regs, ethics, etc.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

My personal experiences are as follows.

Growing up I wanted to hunt but never had a family member to take me. I gave up on the idea as I got older as I like to do this type of thing with family or friends but had none who were interested.

Along came my son who at 8 years old or so started showing an interest in hunting, at 9 he still wanted to and would talk about how it seems like a skill that is being "lost" because we did not know anyone who hunts.

When he was 10 I took the PAL, then I took the CORE with my son, we took it over a weekend. We both passed with no problem. To this day he swears he got a higher score than I did.

The instructors were awesome, they were great with my son and as I had no firearms of my own at this point we practised with a pellet gun at home. While at the course he learned to use all of the different types of actions without issue. We both learned a lot about identifying animals, habitat, conservation, etc. I think he has retained the information better than I have.

I'd absolutely let a 10 year old take the course. Especially if they want to take it, if they want it they'll care and they'll study and they'll learn far more than if they are being pushed into it.

We went on our first hunting trip last year and came out of the hunt with no game. What we did get were a lot memories which is really all I cared about anyway.

This year we'll be more prepared and maybe a little more lucky... or not. But we'll have more memories.