Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question - Online Core Examiner for Youngster

Question - Online Core Examiner for Youngster

Before I sign my 10 year old up for the on-line version of the core; has it been hard to find an examiner only - someone who just gives the exam and does not require that you take the course with them? I am looking in Kamloops.

I did talk to one examiner who did not like the idea of 10 year olds taking the CORE, and would not let him into his course offerings. He kind of turned me off.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Question - Online Core Examiner for Youngster

Have they changed it I assume that you could not do the course online here in BC

Quote Originally Posted by sako79 View Post
    Have they changed it I assume that you could not do the course online here in BC
    I believe it changed last year. It can now be done online through Hunter course. You still need to do the test and practical portions with an examiner.

guest Guest

If I were an instructor examiner, if it's allowed at ten years old , I'd be happy to have him in my class. Same to examine or challenge. I think it's terrific getting our youngsters involved, he can can write and pass, and handle the firearms safely and properly, cudos to him.

Best set of luck to the young fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Before I sign my 10 year old up for the on-line version of the core; has it been hard to find an examiner only - someone who just gives the exam and does not require that you take the course with them? I am looking in Kamloops.

I did talk to one examiner who did not like the idea of 10 year olds taking the CORE, and would not let him into his course offerings. He kind of turned me off.

Thanks
    The kind of chump that would deter a kid from CORE is truly just a walkin' stool sample and the kind of chump that is helping to create all these antis. #takeakidhunting

Maybe, for once, the BCWF will actually do something qaulity by giving you a hookup as per an examiner who'd be happy to have you. If not you could obtain a list of examiners and contact them each.... Best of Fortune, lots'oluck!

I have had several 10 year olds in my classes. Sometimes they are better than the adults.

Youc an take the online course, then go to an examiner and do the written and practical test.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

We've dealt with quite a few 10 yr olds.. as long as they are not shoved thru the door by a tag hungry dad, and it their idea, given their maturity they do very well. It speaks much of the parents when a youngster demonstrates great firearm safe handling... I am absolutely NOT a fan of the online program and state unequivocally that the majority of students that take that presentation do quite poorly compared to those that have taken a formal Core course.. There is much room for improvement of CORE program, particularly in ensuring that the actual instructors adhere to course/hunter applicable material and in particular teach students how to read the regulation synopsis...This has become a major problem with irresponsible instructors giving one day classes...Everyone truly caring about hunting and conservation suffers when the poorly taught head into the bush...

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    ...I did talk to one examiner who did not like the idea of 10 year olds taking the CORE, and would not let him into his course offerings. He kind of turned me off.
    I would get a hold of the CORE Coordinator at the BCWF and pass along this Instructors name. CORE is for 10 year olds and up. It's not his choice to make. Whats next, no women in his class?

While not necessarily related to the Instructor you're talking about ... an Instructor can not decline a challenge, it's their JOB to do them! So it should be NO PROBLEM finding an Instructor to do the test. If they say no, report them and let's get them replaced with someone that will do the job they signed up for.

Thanks for the feed back -

I would prefer the in class option, but this first instructor kind of threw me. We are not talking about a brat kid here, his teacher said he was the hardest worker she has had in her years of teaching.

I will do some calling around, I have had some names given to me now.

We still have some time ---- He still has some saving/chores to do to get his first deer gun.... has to work for this (I am kind of excited - might help out a bit).