Thread: How can the everyday hunter help?

How can the everyday hunter help?

Hello,

As a newer hunter I've become absolutely obsessed with attempting to gain any information on hunting. Mostly my information has been through podcasts. Of popular discussion in many podcasts is the topic of conservation. As I listen more and more I've become much more aware about not only the importance of conservation but also the state of our animal populations. Living in the rugged terrain of BC I always assumed we had an absoltue abundance in every species of animal that resides in the province. However, in my research I've also become aware of the decline in their populations.

I want to assist in making a change and assist in restoring the health of our animal populations; how can I help? I've heard of the sheep counts as well as some that are simply counts of types of vegetation. If someone has any information on where I can find these types of citizen science assistance (as I've heard it called), biologists we can contact to assist, or any indepth conservation information it would be greatly appreciated. Currently I find it somewhat overwhelming to go out and find the information and I'm sure others do to.

Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How can the everyday hunter help?

Try the
    BCWF?

Wild sheep society does the sheep counts you heard of

Some Rod&gun clubs get involved in projects

BCWF, SCI, and ducks unlimited are other options

it does not hurt to talk to local bio's but found it takes building a relationship with them before being involved in much

One simple way all hunters can help is to conduct them selves with good ethics. Doing so provides an example for others especially new hunters or those interested in hunting

I'll look into the group's you guys mentioned. Does anyone know how to get in contact with the biologists? Would I go through the COs in the MU?

So I talked to a biologist who was very informative. The biologist told me, for the areas around Kamloops, white tail are doing good, mulies are meeting their buck to doe ratios in the majority of areas but the fires are in crucial wintering areas and it will be interesting to see what happens over this year, but moose are on the decline for a number of reasons. The fragmentation of their habitat is one as there is little deep timber which, from my understanding of what the biologist said, makes it much easier for large predators (wolves and bears) to kill moose calves preventing them from making it to maturity. So to help moose populations around Kamloops we can put in an effort to take a bear or two as well as some wolves if possible. Also maybe lay off the mulies a bit this year in regions strained by the fires.

We need to get political without getting partisan. Political because the politicians hold the levers of power (or the keys to the cash register or however you want to frame it) and we need them to remove obstacles and provide tools for the work that needs to be done. Non-partisan because we need to survive changes in party during the election process.

We need politicians of all stripes to commit to wildlife conservation based on science and we need a funding model that also survives changes in government. A concrete thing you can do in that regard is talk to your MLA and your MP. It's not that tough. I'm no pro but I started doing it and it's easier than I thought it would be.

We also need to change public perceptions about wildlife management. Most people like animals, but they're low information. They think the threat to wildlife consists of trophy hunters showing grizzly bears. Some more informed people think non-consumptive use is better than consumptive use, but they are also confused - more wildlife is killed bringing you products to buy in the store than are ever killed by "consumptive" users like hunters. The concrete thing to do on that score is to continue to educate yourself and give ammunition to other people who think like you do in order to change the minds of people who think that hunters are bad and don't realize that we are the real conservationists.

You can't change someone's mind by yelling at them or telling them how much smarter than them you are, but you can change some minds by highlighting what the real facts are (loss of habitat kills more animals than hunters, for example, and everyone, not just hunters, responsible for habitat loss). Changing minds of non-hunters gets us social license. Social license helps us with getting politicians to do the right thing. It's a self-reinforcing loop.

If you want to know what to say to MLAs pm me and I'll get you in touch with the right people.
    Rob Chipman
    "The idea of wilderness needs no defense, it only needs defenders" - Ed Abbey
    "Grown men do not need leaders" - also Ed Abbey

I too am a new hunter that is very interested in conservation. I would also like to get involved more. I have spent a ton of my free time educating myself lately on the subject I am forever craving more knowledge about issues at hand.
    I have thought about contacting my MLA to let him know of my concerns, but I don't know where to begin.
    I love being in wild places and all the creatures that live in these places. I have three young boys. I want them to grow up with the same or better opportunity to appreciate the wilderness that we have in this great province that we live.