Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Lite

Re: First Lite

Quote Originally Posted by tailgate77 View Post
    I also got a pair of Obsidian pants this year. They are awesome! Superior to the original Knaabs. The pockets are great and the fit is perfect. So comfortable, kind of feel like I am wearing pajamas! But the seem really durable. I got the new Cypher pattern, which I feel is superior to Fusion(no green, darker shades of brown) Highly recommend these pants! I also have four Chama's. Wear them everyday. Couldn't imagine life without them!
    Wondering where you could get them in southerly interior, region 3?

I order direct. If you know someone who has a US mailing address and could bring then across, it could save you some bucks in tax and duty. Not sure where in BC sells, aside from Vantage Point. I find the sizing true, which is good. Some brands sure don’t!
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."

Quote Originally Posted by BCHoyt View Post
    Just placed my first order of First Lite gear.. Cant wait to get it and try it out for bow season! Got their new Obsidian pant and Chama midweight 1/4 zip shirt.
    Hey Hoyt, I see here that you ordered First Lite gear. I am in the process of doing the same and wanted to ask what the charges were across the border?

Did you get dinged for shipping, brokerage, and duty?

Can you remember approximately what said charges were?

I cant seem to figure out when duty and brokerage are applied and when they aren't.

I buy direct from Mystery Ranch and get dinged like crazy for duty and brokerage... yet I buy from Black Diamond or Patagonia and get charged $15 shipping only.

18% duty is safe bet for offshore built clothing. add 12% BC tax and $10 border fee
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    18% duty is safe bet for offshore built clothing. add 12% BC tax and $10 border fee
    If you bring stuff across yourself and keep it to $250 or less you won't be charged anything. Closer to $500 with nexus. At least that's what I have been getting away with and I have been shipping stuff to Blaine and bringing it across for 10+ years.

Even if they make you go in and pay you will just pay 12% tax. They don't bother with duties unless it's tobacco or booze.

Shipping across the border, yes, they will automatically ding you for duties in addition to tax, which I really have a problem with because if you decide you don't want the item and want to ship it back ... good luck with getting that duties/tax money back.

If possible. It is much, much easier and cheaper to just ship to a parcel receiving business in Blaine and go and get it yourself. I pay $3 per package and do it all the time.

Best haul so far, without having to pay tax is $650usd. They are definitely more lenient to Nexus holders. If I had known I would have gotten Nexus sooner. Lol.

Not sure what the "border fee" that Bartell is mentioning is though ...

Canada Post charges $9.95 to handle a package going across border
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Copy that, and it's made offshore without a doubt. Very good, thank you. Will mail to US post box.

FL is only going to be selling direct, like Kuiu, in 2018.

Start looking south of the border for deals, I saw a bunch at Midway, FL, Black Orvis and many others. Not much north of the border. You will pay the duty, unless you know someone who has a box near the border or has family members south.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

some nice looking stuff offered for 2018

The Catalyst looks really intriguing.
    stumpstalker.ca- Wood arrows, Spruce arrow shafts, and other trad gear.

"A society grows strong when old men plant trees under who shade they know they shall never sit."