Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HBC Members Thoughts on 7mm-08 Capabilty

Re: HBC Members Thoughts on 7mm-08 Capabilty

I bought a 7mm-08 last year. My intention is to use it as my main hunting rifle. Ive shot it out to 400 yards on the range and am really happy with it's accuracy. I have it topped with a Leupold 4.5x14 cds scope, but rarely go beyond 10x.My hanloads are 140 gr TTSX's over 41 gr of IMR 4064. I'm getting 2750 fps. I shoot Lapua brass and seat the bullets .050 off the lands as per Barnes recommendation. This puts my Coal a little over Sammi but the rounds still fit the magazine and cycle well. I've only taken two whitetail with it this far. Both were broadside lung shots under 50 yards. Never recovered either bullet but was happy with the performance and damage the bullets did. Neither deer went more than 10 yards.

My rifle is the remington mountain stainless and it's easy to carry with very low recoil. I would have no hesitation to use this setup for moose and elk within reasonable ranges.

I could see a 120 gr. TTSX penciling through if you took a lung shot but the four animals I dropped last year using them I shot for bone (as suggested to me when I made the switch) and they all dropped on the spot. No complaints so far,,,,but we'll see how this year goes. No bullets recovered yet for me either.

ttsx penciling through - sorry, not going to happen, unless the velocity is down to 30-30 velocities (~2000 ft/s). But some like to consider all mono metal bullets including the ones with plastic tips and deep cuts to ensure expansion the same. Bufus shot a moose with a mono metal and it didn't expand! other buddy told me and he knows what he's talkin bout, you'll never see me using them thangs! funny shit...
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

120 TTSX @ 2250 fps impact didn't pencil. Every bullet has it's own velocity window for optimum performance. Bull was shot from far side of the lake from the diminutive deer rifle, 7mm-08

"If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Hey wait is that mullet boy making yet another appearance??

So buy a Kimber Montana in a 7mm-08, load it with 120ttsx or 140NP and go hunt all of BC?

would this be a bad choice for a everything but grizzly gun?

Anyone using the 7mm-08 as their only rifle in bc?

maybe add a 45-70 for the thick timber in high grizzly populated areas and I see a pretty good 2 rifle combo.

7mm-08 will work well on Sundays but ideally you have a different rifle for every day of the week. I mean, c'mon, different days need different calibers. And don't get me started on September .22's vs the October .22's - very different indeed.

For a one-gun, the 7mm-08 is a wonderful choice. I think after having the opportunity to shoot a .300WSM for a bit, this would now be my one-gun choice, or a .270 or a ...

I would likely be better off with just one gun - I mean the wife would be much happier and I guess that's important.

But as long as I still have places in the house to hide new rifles from my wife, I'll keep on buying until I find "THE" rifle.

What more can I say, I like banging different rifles.

Randy newberg shoots a 7mm08 and has MANY videos on YouTube showing everything from sitka blacktail to elk being taken with his 7mm08

Its funny, on a lot of forums you get flamed for posting a question that has been answered before but we seem to have an insatiable appetite for discussing calibers, cartridges, bullets and trucks.

Carry on!
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

LOL albravo2 WE can't seem to get enough RIGHT answers so we keep asking ! RJ