Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Members Thoughts on 7mm-08 Capabilty

HBC Members Thoughts on 7mm-08 Capabilty

Hello,

Even though I have researched this online I thought I would post a few questions on this forum since there is a lot of knowledgeable and experienced people on this site.

I am buying a new Savage XP Hunter 7mm - 08 from my brother that got the rifle for a great price at the Nanaimo Wholesale Sports Auction. The rifle has been bore sighted but I need to sight in the scope. Hopefully I'll get that done in the next month. I havent shot it yet.

If I had my way I would of bought a 30-06 or 270 but I have chronic pain and the recoil would be to much. I don't want to go the muzzle brake route so that is why I settled on the 7mm-08.

I'm new to hunting and have only gone out twice. Success both times. What a rush.

We will be going to the Kootenays again this fall for our deer/elk hunt. I know the 7mm-08 is a good deer calibre and have read that it will take Elk down no problem in the right situation. Currently I'm not interested in taking long shots. Approx 150 yards and less is good enough for me.

I know this is pretty general question but is this calibre in your opinions good enough for Elk or even feral pigs? I currently have a box of 139 grains bullets.

Thx
    Last edited by 4x4; 07-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HBC Members Thoughts on 7mm-08 Capabilty

Use a quality bullet and you'll be good to go

Without getting into splitting hairs 7mm-08 is about the same thing ballistically as a 7X57 and like any of the other centerfires that send a 130 -180 grain bullet down range at more than 2200 fps it will kill anything that you hit in the right place given a suitable bullet. The point blank range will be a little shorter than a faster cartridge with a flatter trajectory. That just means you have to get a little closer unless you learn to measure distance and the correct holdover for the various distances. Going back to back to hitting the right spot you are almost always better off getting closer.
    Last edited by dracb; 07-22-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I have a 7-08 and load 140 grain Nosler Accubond 2800 fps. Deadly accurate, great for deer and lots of people have taken elk and moose with similar load in this caliber.

7-08 is a great cartridge. No problem for moose or elk. I'd pick it over a 270.

bought one last summer... same model

killed my elk at 425 yards no problem using factory 139 Fusion ammo..

also killed 2 whitetails...

its a sweet shooting gun..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Dandy cartridge for feral hogs if you can find some.
    I would imagine they aren't any tougher than a bear of similar weight. You won't be undergunned for elk either. Shot placement is most important. Shooting a rifle you are comfortable with will allow you to do it right.

7-08 is very suitable for any BC hunting situation. With a premium 140gr class bullet it will do anything a 30-06 with 180gr soft points can do, which is saying a lot. Hell even with generic soft points like a 139gr Hornady Interlock, it will do a great job. Look no further than the track record of it's ballistic twin, the 7x57 Mauser

buddy of mine took his moose last fall with one shot at 300 yards with a 120gr TTSX. Dropped in its tracks
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    7-08 is very suitable for any BC hunting situation. With a premium 140gr class bullet it will do anything a 30-06 with 180gr soft points can do, which is saying a lot. Hell even with generic soft points like a 139gr Hornady Interlock, it will do a great job. Look no further than the track record of it's ballistic twin, the 7x57 Mauser

buddy of mine took his moose last fall with one shot at 300 yards with a 120gr TTSX. Dropped in its tracks
    That is the bullet I'm shooting out of my 7-08,,,,,,close to 3000 fps and deadly accurate over Varget. I shot 3 of the 4 animals I got last year using it. They were all under 150 yards, though, but I know it is a capable at much greater distances than that. It has become my go to rifle now because it's so much fun to shoot! Using fast travelling TTSX you can take the shoulder out of any animal in BC except a grizzly,,,,,and eat right to the hole.

Bartell sold me a sweet 7/08 for the wife. It is a great killin' machine.

She has dumped bears and whitetails with it, all one shot/dead kills.

140 grain CoreLokts. Minimal meat damage and good hitting power. Some day I'll probably load some 140 Accubonds for it, but she doesn't use many bullets per year with all those one shot kills!

I'd thump a moose or elk in the lungs with it and expect a dead animal in short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !