Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for the collective -- trail camera theft

Question for the collective -- trail camera theft

Hi all, wanted to see the group thoughts on posting a photo of a vehicle and person I would like to talk with on this forum. I just tracked down the photos.

Last year I had a trail camera go missing. I had a secondary camera set up about 50 yards from that location. It captured three vehicles entering and exiting (it was on a short dead-end road). Two of the vehicles went in and out in about a minute and a half. The third vehicle spent approximately 15 minutes back in the area where my missing trail camera was. I have a very clear picture of the truck -- it is very unique and a one of a kind. I have a pretty clear picture of the person driving and the vehicle plate.

How would you proceed?

Based on the in/out times of the other two vehicles being almost exact. Logically the one that spent more time would be the "person of interest". But of course, don't have a picture of the "borrowing" of the camera.

Cheers, VFX
    Last edited by VFX_man; 07-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Question for the collective -- trail camera theft

Call the cops.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

A two camera setup. that's a good idea.

Nothing wrong with contacting someone and asking if they know anything. If they have nothing to hide your approaching them should not be an issue. Bring another person with you if you meet in person to witness the exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    Call the cops.
    Don't really want to get the person in trouble. Would be happy if it was just returned. I have a drop location they could place it near the site of the "borrowing".

I could simply describe the vehicle and see if someone PM's me before I go to the authorities.

Cheers, VFX

Hang em high, show the photo's

I would be careful about posting a picture and saying they stole something when all you have is their truck driving by and spending 15 minutes in the area. The guy could gone to take crap and bear tore your camera down.

Unless yu have the guy removing the camera on the other camera, I would say you shouldn't be posting pics of it.

Bhb
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

You wouldn't have to say they stole you trail camera you could ask for help from them via a posting to see if they noticed anything no accusations just a request for help. You could mention your intensions to turn the pictures over to the law if you cannot solve it yourself. This is not a something you would need to worry about from a legal standpoint you are just providing the information that you have to the authorities. If you do let it slide you are not doing anyone else who decides to place a trail camera in the area any favours you would in essence be enabling this negative behavior by keeping it quiet. Don't become a victim of a crime, if you can at all fight back against these people.

Quote Originally Posted by VFX_man View Post
    Don't really want to get the person in trouble. Would be happy if it was just returned. I have a drop location they could place it near the site of the "borrowing".

I could simply describe the vehicle and see if someone PM's me before I go to the authorities.

Cheers, VFX

Ok, don't call the cops and get another camera.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

For them to drive in, walk to the camera and then drive off that camera was obviously in a very easy to reach spot(Not that it justifies being stolen) there are lots of shit rats around, put the next one much farther off the beaten path otherwise this will be a common occurrence.

PS post the photo or at least a description