Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: elk hunt equipment

Re: elk hunt equipment

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Solo elk hunting suz for this reason more than any other. Throwing a call behind may help but sometimes it needs to be 20-30 yds to one side..frustrating
    try setting up in thicker brush. As humans/hunters we set up for what works best for us. More visibility/shooting lanes = more chance of a shot/success. An elk wants to see you first, smell you second and hear you third. They'll come to where they should be seeing you. if they can't see you, they'll circle downwind to smell you. if doing that exposes them in the open, often they will 'hang up' and not come in any closer. It's the doorway principle, they get to where they should see you and if they don't , they're not going to enter the room to search for you.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Their is some serious good tips in this thread bugle and Todd have given me some great help with elk in the past. Listen to what they are saying.

Learn the elks language. Most hunters can bugle a tune and squeak a hoochie but not enough guys learn the language.
    Chris Roes website changed my elk hunting life. Best money I ever spent on elk hunting. Roes Hunting Adventures.

Bartell touched on one of the principles taught on the site.

Some of Roes segments are a bit wordy but stick with it his system works.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman Chasse Quebec View Post
    What is the must have equipment for your elk hunt adventure for mid September on horseback riding and remote lodging?
    A good bugle with lots of bands, several cow elk calls, puffer bottle [for checking wind], gloves and head net....nothing else compares to a good elk hunt in September.

........tp

A good compact gun cleaning kit such as a "Otis"..
    small optics cleaning kit,good fitting scabbard for the rifle.

Thanks to all for your answers! although have been hunting moose for decade and did some guiding this will be the first time for elk. Shape is already in the book, I saw that a spotting scope could be useful, things I don't normally use, is it a must?
    For shooting distance what can we expect?
    For calls, do you start in with the cow?
    Hunting in mountain like date, what is the best backpack?

Most outfitters websites have a suggested gear list
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Spotting scope helps to tell if the bull is a 6 pt....so it is a must...rather then spending your time to get in close, only to
    find out it is a 5 pt etc.
    A bugle is useful, but can also be dtrementel....
    Sometimes you are trying to locate elk, using a bugle, and there maybe a bull hidden from your sight, who has cows etc,
    and he will just round them up and take off, never replying, and you will think there are no elk in the area.
    (I have ssn this happen...guys walking and bugling...and just around the corner up on the cutblock edge, there was a large bull with 5 or 6 cows....they just left...and the hunters never knew they were there)
    Othertime a bull, with or without cows will reply)
    Without cows....cow call...and you can bugle (best to imitate his sound/s) if you want....it just depends...you never know.
    If he comes in, hang tight...watch the wind so he can get around you.
    If he just hole up....go in towards him....cow calling....not bugling.
    If he has cows....cow call...bugling may have an adverse effect...quite often but not always.
    Sneak in close....if you hit cows, and they see you....let a bugle rip....and be prepared to nearly get run over.

Distance....always close down the range as much as possible....but...I have had a river between me and the single
    bulls many of time...so the shots were 330 yrds.
    Other time....3 ft........too close for a shot...I should have backed up 50 yards to the other side of the meadow.
    Closest kill shot was 8 yards.

I like my wilderness wanderer....but others have some newer brands that are in their opinion better...
    Search the site...or wait for other responses...or start another thread on backpacks I suppose.

Have hunted elk for years....never once needed a spotting scope. Just very good binos. Most kills under 30yds. Depends where and how you plan to hunt them. I always hunt the rut tho and pull them in. If heading into mountains on horseback might come in handy tho especially if looking for sheep/goats too.