Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire watch past time

Fire watch past time

What do you do for amusement? Fire is dropping ash every where. Staying to save my place.

The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Fire watch past time

Looking mighty smokey!

You have our best regards, hopefully you will be successful in protecting your place. We live on the island out in the bush and we are very dry, ripe for burning. Forest company logged all around us a few years ago and the brush is dry and a large growth of broom bushes, we could be in the same mess as you guys. Hang in there, hope your pumps and gear hold up.

Hey tigrr hope your place will be okay.
    Is the fire that far from your place.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

Best of luck

The fire behind me was 3 kms away. It is out. The fire across from me(140 hectares) is 4 kms away and it still burns. I have fly ash 1/2 inch deep built on leading edges of things. My friend lent me a fire fighting pump. 200 feet of 1 1/2 inch hose to wet everything we can. Still we pray. Spent 4 - 6 hours a day for the last 5 days wetting things down. What a roller coaster.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Question Re: Fire watch past time

Been a couple of days now...
    Wondering how you're making out up there!
    Hoping for the best...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

We had a few rain showers but the fire is not out. It has been creeping along under the trees and only flares up when it hits a small tree with low branches. It went from 140 hectares up another 5 to 10 hectares. A crew and air support is still working on it. The bush is still dry. Not going anywhere soon. No groceries since the 6th. No precipitation expected for 10 days. Not looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbuzz View Post
    You have our best regards, hopefully you will be successful in protecting your place. We live on the island out in the bush and we are very dry, ripe for burning. Forest company logged all around us a few years ago and the brush is dry and a large growth of broom bushes, we could be in the same mess as you guys. Hang in there, hope your pumps and gear hold up.
    Firstly, I wish you well tigrr.

A little off the track a bit, the "it won't happen to me" dismissive attitude some people have irritates me to no end. I was on the island last weekend and came across a Subaru at the Nisnak meadows trail head with a burning fire. I guess you can't fix stupid. The only saving grace is had rained the day before.
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Thumbs down Re: Fire watch past time

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    ... Not looking good...
    Damn! I was hoping to hear better news!
    Good to know you're OK.
    Not so good a forecast!

Best of Luck! We'll be thinking of y'all up that way...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me