Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big BC loop trip from Sept 2016

Re: Big BC loop trip from Sept 2016

Awesome, I love that trip and can't wait to do it again. The last time we went through to Dawson City.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Nice pics!

VX can I ask how long you took on this trip? leaving on something similar for three weeks starting mid Aug and wondering about time lines. Did you tent, trailer, camper or hotel/motel?
    'The bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built by then'
    Richard ‘Dick’ Proenekke

Wow! I absolutely adore these photos, well done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knothead View Post
    VX can I ask how long you took on this trip? leaving on something similar for three weeks starting mid Aug and wondering about time lines. Did you tent, trailer, camper or hotel/motel?
    The BC loop trip.

Backstory: The company I worked for closed up shop September 2016. Had a few job offers pending. Wife was not working. Had to do it on the cheap and decided to do try and do it in 12 days.

The trip: Decided to not haul the 22 foot trailer due to speed and gas. Built a platform bed for the back of my 4th gen 4Runner (v-8 engine) that got us up above the rear wheel wells and gave us under bed storage for stove and gear. Threw a double sized camp bed and two sleeping bags in the back.

Rigged a Paracord system around the back side interior so we could hang towels to act as a curtain, small tarp across the back window and side rear window blackout curtains made from 2 cheap dresses from the Canadian Stupidstore. Bought some nylon screen material to cover the front windows from the outside (held on with magnets) to keep bugs out and give air circulation.

Was actually comfortable!

We stopped most nights in secluded parking lots, with a smattering of free campgrounds and a couple of paid ones with showers when needed. Heard later that church parking lots are good.

Did 1 night in a hotel and 1 night at a friends house.

On the way back down through the Rockies, we basically planned our nightly stays based on hot springs! That was fun.

Was in late September and I could have brought my hunting gear, but we weren't sure about heading in and out of Alaska with it.

Saw a ton of game (more that I have photos of) and decided the camera was the best "capture" device. Do have a few spots picked out if I'm up for the drive.

Man, did see a ditch chicken get tenderized by a semi's front grill. Guess he had dinner all "grilled" when he stopped.

Didn't pre-plan a gosh darn thing. One of our best trips. Learned to sing Oh Canada and prepped for the (hopefully soon) citizenship test.

Was a roughly 5,000 km loop trip -- for a reference, the same as driving from San Francisco to Portland Maine. Basically did the whole trip for under $1,000.

One license plate slogan that does not lie . . . Beautiful British Columbia!

Get out and enjoy this wonder called BC.

-VFX

Last edited by VFX_man; 07-18-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Wow! I absolutely adore these photos, well done!!!
    thanks! Enjoy sharing our beautiful province.

Amazing! And for under $1000!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Amazing! And for under $1000!!!
    Most of the cost was fuel too.

vfx

Liard hot springs is one of our most favorite places

Great pictures!!!!