Thread: Pepperoni help

Pepperoni help

Hey just looking for some help. Me and my hunting partner made a batch of bear pep. 100lbs of bear and 25 lbs of pork . Used 1 ounce of cure per 20lbs of meat and 6ounces of salt per 20lbs of meat. We also added spices . After casing we put them in the fridge over night and smoked the next day for 8 hours. Only so long because the smoker couldn't get the internal temp of the pepperoni to 160F. So to finish them we used an oven 215F for 2 hour until 160F was reach in the stick measured with a meat thermometer . The batch I did was hung up right away , my hunting partners batch was put in a pile in the smoker with heat on low until I could pick it up to hang it. I thought he would spread it out to dry properly but it only sat that way for a few hours. After hanging I've noticed the ones I did are drying properly but his are still moist or greasy on the outside? Should I leave them to hang dry another day or should I worry about mold ? Is it normal for pepperoni to be moist on the outside prior to drying? The meat is hanging in my garage witch is cool . Thanks guys n gals
    perseverance pays off

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pepperoni help

I Always give mine a cold water bath right after smoking or cooking them to the desiered temp. i then just wipe them dry after that and hang for a bit untill fully dry then eat amd package.

My concern would be the 215 deg would cause the fat to run making them greasy. My pepperoni is dried slowly in the smoker at max temps in the smoker of about 175-180 I then finish in hot water at 180 until pep makes 160 then ice water and hang overnight.

Hopefully everything works out for you guys.

I find mine set up nicer if I leave them in the fridge for a couple of days before I vacuum seal and freeze them.

My greasy problem was more from making sausage with the ground meat warmer than it should be. The best sausage I've made is when I keep the meat as cold as possible to run it through. Even freezing the hand grinder and sausage stuffer is a good idea when making sausage.

Same as above, as soon as it's done I immerse mine in ice water in the sink to cool it off, tighten it up, and give them a wipe down.