Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can you eat wolf???

Re: Can you eat wolf???

Quote Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
    Cook above 160 Degrees and "hydatid" (not to be confused with tardigrade) cysts will be destroyed as shall other parasites. Worst case (unless they matastize in an extremely extraordinary way - CNS et al) is mebendazol and a tape worm abortion yet this won't be an issue in the general way of things. Don't lie - You were scared to eat it in the first place to ask a pack of internet strangers to advise on the matter.

As always, use internet forums such as HBC as high entertainment yet do not seek advice online. There are professionals for such. They're a worthy investment.

Besos!
    Well said sir!
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Here it is, with link to the website.

IslandWanderer
    Cutblock Creeper

Join DateMay 2017LocationVictoriaPosts255

Re: Wolf hunting tips

Excerpts from the website: http://www.chrisdevonshire-ellis.com...meat-152.html/

"Beer & Red Wine Marinade
    Liquid: Half Dark Beer, half strong red wine (Cabernet or Shiraz)
    Ground black pepper
    Decent slug of rock salt
    Small Handful of juniper berries
    Rosemary
    Bay leaves
    I left the wolf in this for one week. The aroma of the meat however was still very strong, and I needed to do something about it. Then – brainwave: a whisky marinade. Keeping the beer/wine marinade to one side (to reduce and use later as a sauce), I created the following marinade to finish the tenderizing, again enough to cover the meat:

Whisky Marinade
    Liquid: Half regular malt or blended whisky, half vodka, plus
    Half cup of a big smoky whisky such as Laphroaig or Lagavullan

This was left for 24 hours. Upon smelling it again at this time, the powerful gaminess had been reduced and partially replaced with a strong smoked smell (which is why the half cup is important) that complimented the aroma of the meat."

"While all this is going on, you need to prepare and cook the meat. This was boned, and then sliced into medallions. These were then quickly pan fried, for about ten minutes, not too long or it becomes tough. Serve on a plate with the side dishes and sauce and enjoy. Accompany with chilled vodka shots (“Toktoy!” is Mongolian for Cheers) and a strong red wine, preferably a Hungarian or Bulgarian red if you can get them. It was extraordinary. Delicious, to gourmet standards and I may have just written the best and only recipe for preparing and cooking wolf. Enjoy! "

Why? And who?!? would ever, ever waste a half cup of good Lagavulin on marinating a piece wolf? If you find this guy that respects his Scotch so little, please put him in contact with me so that I can take care of those bottles for him
    Get out of the Truck, Off of the trail, and Onto the tracks...

Quote Originally Posted by redthorn View Post
    Why? And who?!? would ever, ever waste a half cup of good Lagavulin on marinating a piece wolf?
    Probably someone who really respects the animals he shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanMon View Post
    From what little I know, seems like people don't eat wolf. Why not?

If you do, how do you cook it?

Thanks!
    Of COURSE u can But like Crow and Skunk will taste shitty I Suspect ! imo. RJ

Probably someone who really respects the animals he shoots.
    There's more to hunting and conservation than just killing for food. That's fine if you don't want to kill anything your not going to eat but don't put yourself on a pedestal if you can't see the value in harvesting wolves without eating them.

Although I'm certain it would be safe to eat a wolf, the main reason for not doing so is rather simple....

Have you ever smelled a wolf being skinned?! If you're willing to put any part of that critter in your face after peeling one out you have larger issues than what to marinade with!
    I wonder what's over that next ridge?

Vilhjalmur Stephansson wrote "my life with the eskimo" , a hell of a good read. He lived off the land for years and years, eating all of the delicious meats the Arctic has to offer, including fat caribou and seal. He said his favorite meat of all was wolf.

From what little I know, seems like people don't eat wolf. Why not?

If you do, how do you cook it?

Thanks!

Some like to eat dog, I prefer what some call cougar.

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    uhhh... cuz its a fuggin dog
    Enough said!!!