Thread: Got a Bison Tag, Tips and advice appreciated.

Got a Bison Tag, Tips and advice appreciated.

Well, I was lucky enough to get a bison tag this year with a group hunt. its my second year hunting, and the group I am going with have hunted for a long time, but none have hunted for Bison before.

Looks like we will be heading towards Pink Mountain.

If anyone could help me with advice and tips on the hunt I would really appreciate it.

Area to go:
    What to look for:
    what do they eat:
    where and when to find them?
    etc....

We will be going early-mid October.

Thanks in advance. I have been reading up some and learned a bit.
    First year hunting 2016. Trips scouting/hunting 35. km driven 4500km. moose count 2 (our group got). grouse count 5

Experience gained and ready to be used for 2017...priceless.

2017 Results
    Trips out scouting 4 (2100km)
    trips hunting 1 (4200km)
    1 bison
    4 rabbits
    16 grouse

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Got a Bison Tag, Tips and advice appreciated.

past pink mountain to the lilly lake road , past moose creek to a couple of lakes up top , there's a gravel pit up there as well, check around there, there's usually a few around there. If you take horses they are north west of the gravel pit.

thanks for the reply. It will be on truck, Foot and atv
    First year hunting 2016. Trips scouting/hunting 35. km driven 4500km. moose count 2 (our group got). grouse count 5

2017 Results
    trips hunting 1 (4200km)
    1 bison
    4 rabbits
    16 grouse

Been said a few times around here. When the Bison hear the quads, they head for the timber to hide out. Don't let them see you, or hear you. That's all I got....
    The measure of a man is not how much power he has, it's how he wields it.

Went up in 2015 with 7 guys we applied for group bison and committed that we would go draw or not. We were not successful in draw. We took up a motor home and trailer with two quads and one side by side. Stayed at life line lake (on google earth) you can safely take a trailer or motor home there would not recommend going any farther EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE YOU CAN!!!! Got warned about mud but really didn't understand till we got there! We were there for 10 days saw lots of caribou,2 bull moose 3 cow calf combos(moose) and a couple elk but saw tons of bison. We spent more money on quad and side by side fuel then in the motor home to get up there from the westkootenays. Was lots of km to get away from people to where we started to hike. Roads would be great one minute and the shits the next with a little precipitation. There were trucks stuck daily was thankful that we were in a side by side with new tires. We helped winch multiple trucks out of the ditch. On one occasion one truck in the ditch as we are winching it out another pulls up and gets out to see if he can help and its in park idling and ends up in opposite ditch. All and all was a great trip beautiful country but a lot of work some days to get back to camp with helping others! So I wouldn't advise using a truck unless you have big mud tires and a heavy right foot. Have fun up there !

Just thought you should see this post from an earlier thread pertaining to the Pink Mountain area by one of our members recently, the same member replied to this thread already but omitted this information. The important info is in the first sentence.

Thread entitled - First nations traditional territory

Bloody Bellies -

"you can pay 175bucks to the blueberry band at pink mountain for an access fee if you are hunting, I think its 75 bucks if your just passing through, I don't believe people that live on reserves pay taxes unless the government get monies from the band, I look at it , as soon as they leave the reserve they are on my land , I pay taxes for roads, they should pay me.Like ive posted in the fishing section, how long do you have to live in Canada and be on this earth before my fishing or hunting is classified as a staple food? Ive been eating game and fish for over forty years. Somehow some way we all must beable to voice our opinions in a formal way to our government,, just not sure how, where it is actually heard. "

Have not been that way in years but just thought you should have all the info before you leave, good luck and be safe.
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

Definitely not a easy hunt, best of luck

thank you all for your comments so far

2017 Results
    trips hunting 1 (4200km)
    1 bison
    4 rabbits
    16 grouse

what time.... what area