Thread: Closed rifle ranges

Closed rifle ranges

Salmon arm and kammy ranges are closed.becouse too dry..kammy has fire started from bullet..how rare is that?
    I think very rare..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Closed rifle ranges

Heard 100 mile fire started at 2km just past the dump by someone shooting ..So during dry conditions ...Yes anything can cause a forest fire.!...Dennis

Probably not from someones bullet but from either something they shot or a cigarette butt. Thats most likely. Unless they are shooting steel projectiles they are not likely to create a spark. Mission range is a no smoking area and there are butts all over the place. Go figure. You would think that hunters would be so aware of the hazards of smoking in the bush but I have found that mostly not to be the case and it only takes one idiot. Just one.
    "The older I get, the more I find that common sense is not so common after all". (Mark Twain)
    Member Mission Rod and Gun

Fires started by bullets are very rare, but they have happened. Especially if shooting a target made of standard steel, not AR500 or similar. The bullet can knock a chunk of hot steel off a mild steel target and that creates a fire if conditions are perfect. Steel core bullets may also cause a spark on some rocks and start a fire, but again, conditions have to be perfect.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Heard 100 mile fire started at 2km just past the dump by someone shooting ..So during dry conditions ...Yes anything can cause a forest fire.!...Dennis
    yup...but they were shooting at tannerite targets, according to two different people that live there.
    I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
    yup...but they were shooting at tannerite targets, according to two different people that live there.
    Apoarently the fire was started by the shooters cigarette.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!