Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: chinook and socks closed on the fraser, what if

Re: chinook and socks closed on the fraser, what if

Nets are in the river....every....single....day.

If you think differently, well go take a look!

Whether it be set or drift, they are there. I use to spend many days on the Fraser chasing sturgeon. What you see can make you sick.

Quote Originally Posted by tubby View Post
    Actually Spuzzum creek and below...
    Ppl wont stop buying. The black market with the Vancouver restaurant industry is always growing.....
    I just checked my fishing permit, its Sawmill Creek.

Regardless, the system is all messed up and the fish and wildlife take a beating.

Nets are back in...so much for leaving the stuart stocks alone...
    http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fr...ningTimes.html

Quote Originally Posted by ACB View Post
    Alaska! Our IGA said their Sockeye came from Alaska . B.C. fish intercepted by our american neighbour's.
    I think thats got something to do with it as well (from the south as also). We can close all the fisheries we want but if our neighbor continues to fish .....

Anybody else ever go out on a commercial boat on the fraser during a opening... its pure destruction..

Those socalled chinook net opening that are going on. I am sure only chinook are being caught.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    commercial and FN over fishing would be my guess, if its bad enough to close it for the sport fishery it should be closed for everyone.
    Pretty much sums it up. It doesn't take a genius to figure this problem out. Too many damn nets in the river.
    WSSBC Life Member
    CCFR

Originally PM'd from stixnstones:
    "wheres your pics of this deer? if he is a good one. i will pay u to tell me where he lives? cash for christmas. let me know. thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Ovis17 View Post
    Pretty much sums it up. It doesn't take a genius to figure this problem out. Too many damn nets in the river.
    OR.... we have been tagging fish for years to check returns. We started putting traceable spaghetti tags in to watch the migration patterns, so are we the only ones that can track via satellite? I think not. Once the are outside the 200 mile fishing limit they are open game. I am sure the floating canneries have been working overtime.
    [Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

If you cite things that happen in the US of A but live in Canada, then you might be living as an idiot in a great country. ..... clueless

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post

Those socalled chinook net opening that are going on. I am sure only chinook are being caught.
    8" mesh...

8" mesh still has a large bycatch as the net swings the socks get laid sideways and are cradled in..

Salmon management in general is a mess and damage is coming from all user groups along with development. Add in increase in seals/sea lions and decrease in salmons food source it is not good.

I am too young to be able to notice such a huge change in the fishery since I was a kid

More and more spawning habitat damaged each year lots of small creeks that no longer have salmon runs

FN seem to have ramped up their take since I was a kid

Sport fishing has increased a lot. A lot more guys who unknowingly wade through reds. Bottom bouncing has become the main way salmon are fished vs the more selective methods of the past. Maybe it's just the increase in the number of people out fishing for salmon but ethics seem to have taken a dive

I won't talk chimerical fishery cause I don't know enough about it

Changes by all parties that use the salmon fishery are needed. Stream habitat enchancement and reastaishing of runs in these creeks. Would love to see a seal cull. Also a more restrictive harvest of salmon feed herring ext

Will it happen to a level to change things probably not because most will keep doing as they do and just get mad about the other groups impact

I don't see a bright futur for salmon