Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which VX3i.....

Which VX3i.....

Hey guys,

I currently have a first world problem that I want some input on.

Which VX3i scope would you buy for my hunting style. A 2.5-8X36 or 4-10X44 (splitting hairs I know). It will be a VX3i so please don't tell me how much better your Vortex or Swaro is.

The scope will be going on a Sako Finnlight chambered in 30-06. The plan is to begin reloading and then re-chamber to 338-06 within the next couple years. I hunt deer, elk, moose, and black bear with this rifle. Likely will end up with something smaller for deer etc down the road. In the past few years 3/4 of my animals were taken within 50 yards and the one moose at 280 yards. I'm not a long range shooter and likely will never be with this gun, which has me leaning towards the 2.5-8X36 for the more intimate experiences. Is 8X power enough to reach out to 300-350 effectively? I cannot for the life of me remember what I cranked my previous scope to for the 280 yard shot. FYI it was a Conquest 4-14X44.

Thanks for the input!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Which VX3i.....

8 power is plenty for 350 if your eyes are good.

when the target is big like the side of a moose you can make accurate hits on 2.5 power at 350

the 2.5-8 is smaller and lighter and would probably be a better fit for the finnlight. i have a finnlight 308 with swaro z3 3-10 and the package, sans ammo, is a hair under 7 lbs with a sling and bikini cover.

You should get a Vortex...or a swaro.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I went with a vx3i 4.5-14 CDS.
    There were times at the range when I want more magnification than a 3-9. You can still use the lower magnification with a 4.5-14, however, if you buy a 3-9 and ever needed/wanted more, you are out of luck. With a 4.5-14, keep it between 5-9 for your hunting needs and magnify at the range, if needed. Best of both worlds.
    Last edited by DeepJeep; 07-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

If your eyes are good VX3i-3.5-10x40 or if like me you like or need a little more power at the range VX3i 4.5-14x40

I have several VX3i Leupolds and they are excellent scopes
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

The 2.5-8 will be fine. Furthest kill I've made with mine was 370yard with my 35 whelen. It will be a great scope for when you rebarrel to 338-06
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

What scope rings / mounts do you plan on using on your Sako
    If they allow for the larger objective leupold scope I would say go for it,
    if you are mounting the scope with optilocs even with lows they sit high.

Either scope will be good. Unless weight is a consideration, I would pick the 3.5 x 10. Anything over 10 power and parallex adjustment or side focus would be mandatory.

Thanks for all the input! AND LOL IslandWanderer...my next rifle (long range) will have a Z3 for sure.

My eyes are still good (33 yrs young). The rifle currently has Sako Optilock on them. Weight is a consideration for sure. Leaning towards the 2.5-8 but wanted to make sure my thoughts were in line. No bad choice really though.

When did Vortex ever think it should be mentioned in the same breath as Swaro? You will do just fine with the Leupold.