Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildfires - Effect on Hunting

Wildfires - Effect on Hunting

Firstly I understand that there are many people on this forum who are going to be greatly effected by these wildfires. I sincerely hope everyone is ok and that the damage can be somewhat restored to your homes and personal belongings.

Now, onto my question. My understanding is that these wildfires are all over BC and although some are burning through grassland, I am more interested in the ones that are burning through forests. How does this effect the hunting in these 'fire' clear cuts 1. Immediately 2. 5 Years from now 3. 20 Years from now. Basically, I know animals will be running from these fires however down the line will these new clear cuts be productive to hunt? I remember reading that Native Americans used to 'control burn' clear cuts and then hunt the animals that would feed there. Is it safe to say that these fires will create new, productive hunting areas? Secondly, those who have hunted areas that have been burned through, what is it like? If you had any idea how long ago the fire was where you hunted I would love to know that information too.

Thank you, have a nice day and stay safe.
    KK

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wildfires - Effect on Hunting

There is going to be some good deer hunting!

Increase the smoke has cleared and a bit of rain occurrs vegetation will sprout up and Mother Nature will heal the wound
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Its all going to be new habitat. There is a reason it all went up so quick. We've been putting out fires instead of letting them burn a bit. in populated area they need to be put out but when its away from towns it should burn a bit and git rid of all the undergrowth. Its natures say of thinning the forest. In a couple years there will be some good hunting in these areas.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I'm curious why we haven't heard what or who started the Ashcroft fire and some other
    large fires. Lightning is responsible for many, but many of the earlier fires were by humans.

Burns are the gourmet locations of the ungulate population.....

I think that many of these recent fires might have been too hot. It's my understanding that the best fires are the ones that clear out the 'duff' layer and thin out the forest not incinerate everything. Hopefully it's more of a patchy burn leaving some living trees standing. But only time will tell, those fires are going to be burning for some time yet.

Burns will enhance resident/immediate populations.
    It also becomes a "magnet" bringing in non res animals.
    Seen deer feeding with smoldering ash in the background.

Most of the bigger bucks we kill r a bit, well.......smoky

I've said this numerous times on HBC.....understand habitat....look for that habitat....game becomes easy to find

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

We flew over my house yesterday. The fire burnt up to the street behind mine. Deer were in my yard eating my garden...

Good discussion. To answer the part about years after burns. There will be immediate signs of life right after all the way to 20 years later. In the first few years lots of small growth dense stuff some good deer upland happening and then getting to a decade later and moose are living in it. Very general but you get the idea it will always be reproducing new life and new habitat for many years to come with every specie benefiting at some point

there are some great reads online when you take a night and deep dive into the inter-web about the outdoors, google everything to do with this subject