Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Gun to Learn With

First Gun to Learn With

I'm looking to buy a gun for my son to learn to shoot with. This gun would need to double as a gun for roadside grouse. He's currently learning about safety with a red Ryder. I'm open to anything, but here are some of the candidates:

1) .410 break action

2) .17HMR bolt or semi, scope

3) .22 or .22 mag
    - Henry lever, maybe just use irons
    - 10/22 scope
    - bolt action scope
    When in doubt, just pin it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Gun to Learn With

22lr open sights....easy to shoot through a scope but open sights take time to understand and learn and practice....taught my two girls with an old cooey 22lr single shot bolt action open sights...first gun I ever shot so only made sense to repeat the process lol.

Skip the .410 and instead go with a 20 gauge. These are much better tools for learning wingshooting technique. Yet really, they're all fine choices!

I certainly second scotty's open sights sentiment above. Best of luck in your choice! I applaud you for teaching your Son to shoot.

A single shot or bolt action 22 RF would be my choice for learning to shoot.

Ammo is cheap therefore the economics to practice more, an open sight will better teach the fundamentals of what's going on. Suggest something like a CZ or Anschutz , triggers are good enough with aftermarket options, the ability to add a scope later on is there as well.

Also a bit more challenge than a shot gun on grouse.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

I've got pretty well all the ones you have listed so can offer a few comments.
    As "No Choke" says, the .410 is the least suitable. Fun guns but not for beginners and very limited use. Agree that if a shotgun is wanted, get a 20 gauge. A break action one shouldn't set you back more than $200. Remember that shotguns are expensive to feed, rimfire is way cheaper. Cheaper ammo = more shooting = more learning.
    17HMR are great for grouse and bunnies and are super accurate, they are also expensive to shoot. Son uses a single shot 17 HMR for grouse and bunnies with great results. Like shotguns, it's going to be expensive to get lots of shooting in.
    22 LR or Mag are the best choices IMHO. Great selection available, ammo easily available and 22 LR is dirt cheap compared to all other ammo. I have Henry levers in 22, 22 Mag and 17 HMR, they are great rifles, slick actions and easy to handle. Oh, and there's just something about levers. I don't like to scope levers although my 17 HMR is for target shooting. The Henry 22 is tiny, might be a good fit on a young kid. I used mine to help a physically handicapped kid get into shooting, it was the only rifle he could safely handle.
    10-22's are the most fun, can't beat a semi for giggles. Lots of add ons, mods and such to tailor it to your needs. Is a semi the best starter tho? A single shot or semi is safer for a beginner I believe. Maybe a 10-22 after mastering a bolt or single ?
    Bolt action - now that's where to start, I like Savages for reasonable cost and good quality. They seem to just all shoot well. Lots to choose, sizing is important ( as in all rifles ) so get something that fits. Started my petite ( 4'11 3/4" " wife on a Savage Cub single shot, would make a great starter 22 for a young 'in.
    Overall I don't like scopes for beginners, too much to deal with. Get a rifle that can be scoped later if desired but start him out on irons.
    I'm slowly teaching my soon to be 7 Grand Girl to shoot. She's a small kid ( Grandma's genes at work ) and it's really tough finding something that fits her. Been using a 100 year old Savage Favourite single shot ( just like her Great, Grampa started on ) and she's having a blast.
    Good luck, have fun.

Function, safety, care, and maintenance are also learned skills, and nothing beats an old Cooey single shot with wood stock for learning on, and gaining an appreciation for traditional rifles.
    Plastic and stainless toys can come later.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

There's a newer style "Stevens" out there... model 30G.... I started my daughter out on this one
    it may be hard to find ... also just as the model 30.... a newer version remake of the old classic that Iron Glove has... great rifles !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    There's a newer style "Stevens" out there... model 30G.... I started my daughter out on this one
    it may be hard to find ... also just as the model 30.... a newer version remake of the old classic that Iron Glove has... great rifles !!!!!!
    Yup, I tried to find a 30 but ended up with the original. Now I have 2 - ya just can't have one ..................

I was going to say .410 break action. But the guys are right. Limited power. Plus very expensive ammo. A used 20 gauge break action is what I'll be looking for in a few years.

Break action over/under 22lr/410 is what I started my son with. Break actions are great for beginners as they are easy to make "safe" and it's easy for the supervisor to see whether they are loaded.