Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Re: Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Leupold Acadia 10x42. Was planning on getting the Mojaves but they were sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvaroo View Post
    Leupold Acadia 10x42. Was planning on getting the Mojaves but they were sold out.
    I have a pair of the Acadias. They're certainly more clear than the redfield rebels I started out with so you should be happy with them for a few years at least

For my knife I picked up a North Arm Lynx and have some Big Bill Wool outerwear on the way. I'm not sure the PNW is the ideal place for hunting in wool, but I literally had no winterwear anyway (even after living in ON for 7 years) so it'll see some use either way. I think my Tilley Hemp hat or a toque will suffice for headwear.

Any good gps/map android apps? Consensus on the internet is that modern smart phones mostly beat out dedicated handheld GPS units these days. Although I do geocache so I've had an eye on a Garmin Oregon for years.

Any other recommendations? My CORE instructor swears by a "Butt-Out".
    How about consumables like game bags?
    Backpacks? Rigging?

I know a lot of this depends very heavily on what I end up hunting, where, and with whom, but surely there are some givens I'm missing.

I hunt in wool, it's a great choice. Quiet, doesn't stink and stays warm when wet. Get a set of merino baselayers and some raingear and you're set.

Also great choice with thr Lynx. I have one as well and provided you know how to sharpen you'll have no issues with it.

Made some more purchases:
    A butt-out and gutt hook, Wool gloves, Polyester Long Johns, a sling for my Enfield and .22, and some wool hiking socks.

I know I still need a good backpack (I have an old Army Surplus one that is heavy and not great).

Don't go gear crazy and save money for going hunting

every new hunter I have taught ends up with a bunch of gimick crap they regret buying

Keep it simple and focuse on the basics weapon, boots, binos, pack and knife

^^^^^^this is worth listening to....you dont even know if ya like this shit yet lol get some basic gear....come out for a few hikes and see how it sits with you.

Everything I've picked up so far (minus the butt-out and gutt hook) can pull double duty for hiking and winter camping so I'm good there at least! It all fits with my "Retire to the Yukon" end game plan. Just need to convince the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvaroo View Post

Edit: I just ordered a decent hunting knife and set of binoculars, any other "Must-Have" Gear?
    Knife sharpener, and at least one exacto knife. You can do a lot of skinning work with an exacto knife and keep your good knife sharp.

Here's a small bit of advice learn to deal with a downed animal with just 1 knife. Reason is everyone has that moment of crap I forgot or lost that tool.

Gut hooks work nice but I can split the belly on a deer with my knife faster than I can find the gut hook in my pack and no need to switch tools to finish the job

As for the butt out tool in my opinion it is more useful for threatening to use it on lazy hunting partners than on a deer lol

I am really a down to the basics hunter so some may not agree but my pack is nice and light making it easier to hike all day