Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Re: Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Knife sharpener, and at least one exacto knife. You can do a lot of skinning work with an exacto knife and keep your good knife sharp.
    Exacto knife for skinning is great advice.

Although you dont need a range finder, I like them as they are handy. The first thing I do when I get settled somewhere is range ridge lines, tree lines, etc so I know approximately how far of a shot it would be.

I just bought a new one and my old one will be going on sale sometime soon here. Keep an eye out.

DJ

Yeah. Threatening the butt out on the missus was worth the $20 already! Range finder is in the category of things I'll likely be picking up next season unless I really miss them this season.

Depending on what I end up hunting this year I've got my eye on a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .308 maybe paired with a Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42.
    Last edited by Wolvaroo; 07-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. You need a havalon and some 10x42 EL's

Mostly it's about getting out there. You always make do
    enjoy.
    Last edited by Asco; 07-27-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

Once you have the basics (rifle, scope, binos, boots, raingear), hunt this season with what you have and decide what you really "need". Better yet, get a hunting partner and share some of the gear (camping and cooking gear, range finder, coolers), so you can split the costs.

Before you you get a decent pack, use what you have and work out what you really need in a pack.

Boits and optics are really the non- negotiables in my opinion.

Anyone going snowshoe hare hunting this long weekend?

Sounds like your off to a good start.

My recomendation as a relatively new hunter myself is. Grab your daypack and pre-pack it with everything you think you need ( this will evolve over time) and leave it by the door. Then when you have an opertunity to get out side just grab and go. Solo hunting is a great way to get started, this way all you have to worry about is you and your hunting.

Find a spot you think looks good and hunt it hard. Check your wind, look for sign and areas you can glass from or still hunt through. Make a plan and see how it plays out and adjust as Needed.If there's squirrels around see if you can move slow enough to still hunt past them. You'll be amazed what you learn by just being out there doing it even if the area isn't great. Just hunt it like it is.

As for gear- buy a wind checker bottle, make sure your kill kit is in order and if you have rain pants in your pack put them on before field dressing.

Good luck-- I'm sure there will be more opportunities to join people in October.

I already keep my hiking and fishing gear packed up and ready to go, just a matter of repacking it for hunting season.

Thanks for the tips!

Hi Wolvaroo,

sounds like we are in the same boat. Where do you live? I'm super stocked to harvest my first animal this year as well.
    I'm happy to share the info I already gathered and maybe meet for beers in the near future.

Gear and Rifle/Bow is ready to go and can't wait for the season to start.

Hey IronFox! I'm in Richmond. Picked up some extra work on the weekends and got myself a Tikka T3x Lite in Stainless Steel with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x-10x in 40mm recently. Really looking forward to getting out there!