Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Hybrid View

Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Made it my resolution to harvest my first animal in 2017 and now that I've got all my licensing in order I'm here making the obligatory "New hunter looking for mentor" post!

I'm a hands-on learner so I'd love to start out shadowing someone rather than sponging up media on my own.
    If anyone out there around Vancouver doesn't mind bringing along a 31 year old new guy I'd love to tag along, even in a purely observational role.
    Ducks off the Dyke, Grouse in the hills, Ungulates in dense brush, it all sounds good to me!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hello from the Lower Mainland!

Congratulations on acquiring a new favourite hobby!
    When the season draws closer PM me,I'll take you along if your still in need of someone to tag along with.

Tuner, thank you so much for the offer! I may very well take you up on it!

Good luck dude, welcome to hunting you are gonna love it!

Welcome to the site and to the lifestyle....I am in delta ....do you have any/or some of your own gear?.....whats some of your goals to pick up....i have taken some guys up and showed them some tracking and navigation wilderness skills aswell as hunting....if your gonna be up there you better know what to do in bad situations...hell we are all still learning....but having some wilderness skill is essential to solo hunting....so what's some of your goals?

Hello Scotty!

I have held off on buying any hunting specific gear untill I have a better understanding of what I should be buying..Right now I have a 12ga O/U, a .303, and a scoped .22, some camping gear, and an old low end geocaching gps. I have some money put aside for when the season starts. Unfortunately I have a few expensive hobbies so money is always a small concern.

I've been on a some multi-day hiking and canoe trips before but can't say I have any real wilderness skills honed.

I don't really have any specific goals for this year. If I was to start right away by myself I was planning on heading out with a friend with a 4x4 on some FSRs looking for rabbit or hare. Seemed like a reasonable place to start with what I had. I don't have my own freezer, boat, or truck, so my options are limited.

Edit: I just ordered a decent hunting knife and set of binoculars, any other "Must-Have" Gear?
    Last edited by Wolvaroo; 07-08-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvaroo View Post
    Hello Scotty!

I have held off on buying any hunting specific gear untill I have a better understanding of what I should be buying..Right now I have a 12ga O/U, a .303, and a scoped .22, some camping gear, and an old low end geocaching gps. I have some money put aside for when the season starts. Unfortunately I have a few expensive hobbies so money is always a small concern.

I've been on a some multi-day hiking and canoe trips before but can't say I have any real wilderness skills honed.

I don't really have any specific goals for this year. If I was to start right away by myself I was planning on heading out with a friend with a 4x4 on some FSRs looking for rabbit or hare. Seemed like a reasonable place to start with what I had. I don't have my own freezer, boat, or truck, so my options are limited.

Edit: I just ordered a decent hunting knife and set of binoculars, any other "Must-Have" Gear?
    Boots. If your feet hurt you're gonna have a bad time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    Boots. If your feet hurt you're gonna have a bad time.
    And not just any boots. Make sure you buy good ones. Nothing worse than blowing out the treads on a $75 pair of Canadian Tire specials. While hiking out a deer. While fully loaded. In a foot of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolvaroo View Post

Knife sharpener, and at least one exacto knife. You can do a lot of skinning work with an exacto knife and keep your good knife sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Boner View Post
    Knife sharpener, and at least one exacto knife. You can do a lot of skinning work with an exacto knife and keep your good knife sharp.
    Exacto knife for skinning is great advice.